What's new

confused sub placement (1 Viewer)

Frank joe

Stunt Coordinator
hi , all i know this has been covered many times and i have read alot of threads. i confused on my sub's placement . i have 2 subs a f-1800vx velodyne which is foward firing and a kilpsch ksw12 which is doward firing. here is my question if i stack them like alot of people are saying i should does it matter that they don't fire the same way ( one foward and one downard)? also if i am correct in saying that they are suppose to go on the same front end of the room with the main and center speakers will this cause a problem with my 60'' rear projection tv. i know the velo book says its not shielded and neither is the klipsch. i dont think the 60'' mitsubishi is either. i presently have the 12'' on the front wall with the tv and the 18 on the left wall in the middle of the room ( but it sits next to my leather sectional at the end so the couch does rock) . my room demsions are 12Width x 25Lenth .and 8' acoustial drop celing. oh yea my floor is cement with just commerical capret no padding its glued down. 1 more thing front part of my room is an L shape so ther is no right corner only left side. also when i hook up the subs do i only use the left line in or do i use a y connector and go into both left and right lines on input for subs . thanks all i know its benn covered but i still don't get it fully sorry frank:)

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
"does it matter that they don't fire the same way ( one foward and one downard)?"
I'll just answer one of your questions (The real easy one!:D )
No, it does not matter.
I'll let the others tackle the rest.

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
OK, OK I'll answer #2 as well.

Normally people jump into these forums right away, so I though i would give them a chance.

" also if i am correct in saying that they are suppose to go on the same front end of the room with the main and center speakers will this cause a problem with my 60'' rear projection tv"

I prefer my subs in the same wall as the mains, some say it doesn't matter. To me it does.

The subs should not interfere with your RP, but cannot guarantee that. I have dual SVS's(not shielded) next to my Toshiba RP with no ill effects.

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
OK, well here goes the third.

"when i hook up the subs do i only use the left line in or do i use a y connector and go into both left and right lines on input for subs"

Using the left only should work fine. Using both will not hurt anything.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I don't think it matters, but if you put the front firing subwoofer on the ground and the bottom firing subwoofer on top, the sound will come from a somewhat close proximity from one another. If you put the down firing one on the ground and the front firing one on top, then the sound is not as close together. I don't think its far apart to really matter. Experiment and through trial and error, perhaps you'll find out what sounds best:)

Frank joe

Stunt Coordinator
thanks alot but i forgot to mention that the 18'' sub weighs 100 lbs and quite large ( its the foward firing)
the 12'' sub is much smaller and cant go on bottom . thanks for all the help.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
OK, so I guess putting the 12" bottom firing on top of the 18" forward firing is good?

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
"OK, so I guess putting the 12" bottom firing on top of the 18" forward firing is good?"

Chris. I believe Frank explained the reason why he chose not to do it your way.

I personally think it does not matter. Namely because of the wavelengths involved. In any case it is just not practical for him.

Just because Frank chose not to do it "your way" is no excuse for your sarcasm.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I never intended any sarcasm. My original post said:

the 18'' sub weighs 100 lbs and quite large ( its the foward firing) the 12'' sub is much smaller and cant go on bottom
Its not that important anyways, so I don't think it matters that much either, but regardless, the heavy 18" subwoofer is forward firing and can stay on the ground. The 12" bottom firing subwoofer could go on top. Thats what I said, and thats what he said. It sounds like he can do what I suggested in the first place.

My concern is that since you are stacking two different model subwoofers, the combined response curve is not going to be flat. I don't know if I'd recommend using two different subwoofers for that reason.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Actually, sorry for the confusion. I didn't mean to say that because they are different, that you shouldn't stack them. I actually meant that since the subwoofers are different, using them together in the same room, no matter where they are placed, will not give you much more than one of them alone. See, their responses will overlap such that you will likely no longer have a flat response. There is no way of knowing for sure unless you try them out in different placements. I' try the heavy sub on the ground and the 12" on top. The might work. Give it a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks