Confused....Sold Dish Receiver on ebay..What is going on?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by CRyan, Jan 23, 2005.

1. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

I recently sold a DishNetwork 6000 receiver on ebay to a guy in Arizona. He seems nice.

Here is what has happenned.

1. I sent him the receiver.

2. 2 weeks later he emails to say the Smart card I sent was not for the 6000 receiver. It is for another receiver. The receiver will not work without the 6000 card.

3. He says Dish said they will "...NOT send out another card and if they could it would cost $70."

4. I email him back to say I will work this out for him and sorry for the inconvenience. I also say to him that I will reimburse shipping.

5. I call Dish to see what is going on and to see if I can order another card for the receiver.

6. They say sure but WAIT. "That receiver has been activated and is being used in Arizona." I say "that is where I sold it too."

7. They say he has an acceptable card for the receiver and that it is being used.

8. I email the buyer back to say I understand that everything is working fine and if there is anything else I can do, please let me know.

9. Four days later, he emails me stating that he still cannot use the receiver and he is confused by my last email. He says Dish still will not send him a new card and if they could it would cost $70.00.

OK what the crap is going on here? I have talked to 3 Dish people now and all of them state that the card is working fine and anyone can call for a new card for FREE. But he says the two reps he has talked to say they cannot send a new card and if they could it would be $70. Still not sure why they have a price for something they cannot do.

I guess I am going to go ahead and request a card and mail it to him. Does anyone have a clue as to what is going on? I am clueless. Could this be some kind of scam. I am at a loss

BTW, it is possible, although slight, that I sent the wrong card.

thanks for any insight,

C Ryan

2. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Has he mentioned in any of his emails that he had a card sitting around but need the receiver?

NO?

Then it sounds like a scam to me. It was activated where you sold it, can you confirm the name on the new programming?? If you can, call Ebay and tell them what happened because it looks like he's trying to scam some money out of you.

Brent

Call him on it, keep all of your emails with him, and when he tells you off call Ebay.

3. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

He never said anything about another card. And yes, Dish told me the NAME and the ADDRESS where the receiver was activated BEFORE I said who and where or that it was even sold.

Weird I say.

4. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    hi guys

the card was not yours to sell in the first place...if you chose to give it to him with the receiver then it was a bonus to him.

the card clearly states " property of Dishnetwork" or something very close to this.

Ask to do a 3 way conversation with him and Dishnetwork. If he doesnt want to do this tell him to go pound sand.

Best of luck!!

Gregg

5. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Sounds like he just wants to get money from you. Has he left feedback yet?

I would email him stating that Dish has confirmed that his machine is working, and thank hhim for his purchase. I would NOT leave feedback until he has.

6. Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris Screenwriter

[​IMG] Two great pieces of advice.
    This smells like a scam, contact eBay and warn them that he may try to leave false negative feedback and is trying to scam/extort you.

Chris

7. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Thanks Greg I hadn't thought of that(card ownership thing), but at least we all agree it sounds like a scam..

Brent

8. Joe McCabe

Joe McCabe Second Unit

Here's what is most likely going on.

He's a satellite TV pirate. If he can get you to get another card for him, he can take the card, and sell it for about $250.00, and continue to make money off of it, by programming (unlocking) it over and over again for someone who wants to pirate Sat.TV.

9. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

My thoughts exactly. Only... He wants 2 cards. One to put a basic subscription on and one to hack... the card he got from you wasn't linked to him before he sub'd it and now he wants another.

If he was smart he would have called dish and said he bought a used IRD and didn't get a card. Do you REALLY think dish wouldn't ship him out a $2 plastic smart card fedex overnight for free just to get a customer? Especially when they're giving away equipment just to get customers?

Next time to talk to dish have them pull up your old account and get the number from your access card, then pull up his account and see if the #'s match.