What's new

Confused: PS3 versus Standalone Player (1 Viewer)

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

It is waiting for a firmware update. Several people claiming to have knowledge have indicated it will happen. I have no inside knowledge at all on that or any other matter pertaining to the PS3.

Chris

djsHTnut

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Daniel
Thanks.

I have a brother-in-law that has a ps3 and the audio through optical connection seems to be good at least for the time being. I bought a HD DVD player from walmart when they were $98, and although I only use optical connection on it when I watch HD DVD disks the audio sounds better than regular dvd's.

If it is compressed why would it sound better than regular DVD's?

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

Audio over the optical digital connection might or might not sound better than standard DVD's, it would depend on the the lossy audio codec used and the bitrate used. The DTS core 1.5Mbps I have heard playing several Blu-ray discs beats anything I have heard using DVD. The big advantage can come from using HDMI or the analog audio out and the lossless codecs.

Chris

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
When you compress a signal - or not - you can choose to lose some of the "less interesting" data (to make the data smaller yet), or not do that.

Compressed lossless audio codecs are like ZIP-files: the data comes out again like it went in.

Because of two differences: on some High Def discs lossless compressed tracks are used, on some lossy compressed tracks, but with newer codecs, for instance allowing a higher bandwidth.

Cees

Rick Westfall

Stunt Coordinator
OK. Based on all the great info above I started looking for the PS3 online. I'm looking on Amazon and see that if you want to cover both high def formats, you can buy a PS3, a Toshiba A30, 6 blu-ray discs and 10 HD-DVD discs for $633 shipped to your door. Both movie formats and a killer gaming console AND a starter high def movie library for under $650. WOW!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Wow that's a heckuva deal!

I don't regret my PS3 purchase, I've been enjoying it as a game console and BD player for over a year now, but I bought it for $499 last Thanksgiving. To think that for only $133 more today you can get that + A30 + 16 HD/BD movies is just insane. That's clearly what I'd pull the trigger on if I were in the market today.

Welcome to the HD pool, the water is fine! :)

Rick Westfall

Stunt Coordinator
I know this is the wrong thread for what I'm getting ready to ask, but it's my original thread so I'll go ahead and hijack it :)

I have a 720p projector that I'm going to play all this through. I don't have the $$ to upgrade to 1080p yet. Will I notice any difference using HD material on my 720p projector if I'm already using an SD Panny that upconverts? No point spending the money if I won't realize any improvement.

Thanks
Rick

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
On SD DVD, most probably: yes, oh, yes.
And additionally you'll start having *real* HD discs: man, you're in for a treat! :)

(Even if I wanted to go back to 480 - which I certainly won't - my wife wouldn't let me.)

Cees

Bill Crosthwait

Second Unit
Just picked up a PS3 after my lackluster performance of my Samsung BD-1000. So far I have been very impressed with PS3 Blu Ray playback. I'll wait till the standalone Blu Ray 2.0 players drop in price before picking one up.

WojtekZ

Grip
I am getting tired of having to watch DivX on my computer. Is it possible to attach an external drive to the PS3 via USB? Did the latest update provide DivX/XVID support ?

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
Yes, it is possible to attach an external drive via USB.
No, the update for DivX support is expected in the next firmware update which is estimated to be released before the end of the month.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Time for a reality check. Yes, you would notice a difference in a direct comparison. But it's an improvement in degree, not an absolute shift in category. E.g. changing from VHS to DVD is a change in category; so is moving from stereo to 5.1. But the new sound systems simply improve slightly on a sound quality that is already more than adequate for most people. So is it worth worrying over? Unless you're an absolute perfectionist and have some seriously expensive kit in ideal acoustic conditions, chances are that it isn't. But then, if you were that sort of person, you wouldn't be asking this question. ;)

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I was originally going to get the Panasonic DMP-BD30 as the brand has always worked well and lasted for me. However, I got the 40GB PS3 yesterday. After mulling over the prices and with increasing curiosity in having a game console (never had any, nor used any), I decided the PS3 offered more. While the technicalities of various audio formats and decoding are a bit confusing to me, I've never been that concerned with having the best sound available -- I was using a 12-year old receiver until this year and don't even have a subwoofer since I live in an apartment.

I've only watched "Spiderman 3" so far (which wasn't that bad a movie, though I don't like the franchise) and downloaded some game demos to try. The fan noise is a non-issue. I think I'm going to like the PS3. :)

Adam_R

Second Unit

I respectfully disagree.

The new sound formats (lossless codecs as well as uncompressed audio) are as big a leap as DVD to HD video. It's high definition audio and it shows (sounds?). The clarity and the nuances are astounding on some of these new releases. It's a big and very noticeable difference.

Obviously opinions differ. This is just mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks