What's new

Confused over 6.1/7.1 channel setup (1 Viewer)

Tim_R_H

Stunt Coordinator
I am looking at upgrading to the Dennon 3802 receiver or an equivelant Onkyo/Yamaha. I was looking to add a rear center channel (6.1 channels). The receivers I am looking at have 7.1 channels and if I understand correctly the 7.1 channels are front L/C/R, surround L/R, rear L/R and sub. My confusion seems to be that I have heard 7.1 as I stated above but have also heard it stated that both the 6th and 7th channels are rear center speakers. The diagram below shows the way I prewired my HT area with the upper case O's representing current speaker placement (not including my sub). All wireing was done to plates in the ceiling. I wired to the locations I did with the assumption that recievers may eventually support an 8.1 format Front L/C/R, side L/R and rear L/C/R . My current surrounds are about 2 1/2 feet behind the couch, are surrounds suppose to be directly to the side or was my placement ok? I'm thinking that with 6.1 even though my placement for my surrounds may be off I can still get by. With 7.1 though I'm not sure I can use my current wiring due to the side speaker wiring being about 2 1/2 ft in front of the couch. Can someone please confirm the 7.1 layout for me and if my wiring for the side speakers is unusable since they are in front of the viewer. Thanks!

16' deep x 14' wide

+--------------------+

|..O.........O.........O..|

|............................|

|............................+-------

|..o....................o....

|.........Couch..............

|..O.........o.........O.....

+---------------------------------

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
The reason I suspect no one's answering is that there's no single answer. A lot depends on what DSP mode is being used to generate "7.1" (which, technically, doesn't exist but is at most a form or post-processing that different processors do differently). And a lot depends on what kind of speakers you're using (direct radiators, dipoles, etc.) and the accoustics of your room.

Lexicon has been doing 7-speaker setups longer than most, and their official recommendation is to have side speakers directly to the side of the listening area, with the rear speakers behind. You're not far off of that, except that your side speakers are slightly forward. I don't see why it couldn't work, but there's no way to judge without actually trying it.

M.

Tim_R_H

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Michael for responding to my post. I was wondering if it was a question to stupid to answer or if there was no correct answer. I did manage to get some info from the Denon AVR-3802 users manual online. It looked like if I use direct speakers they should be directly to the side. If I use dipole they can be slightly forward of the viewer however I belive I would still need to move my surrounds farther back than where my speaker plates currently are. In looking at some information on the Yamaha 3200 they talk about Front L/R/C, Front L/R effects and Rear L/R/C so I'm wondering if the Yamaha wont process the sound in a way more to the likeing of my setup. Hopefully when this unit is released I will be able to view the manual online to see exactly what they are talking about.

Again, thanks for the response.

Tim_R_H

Stunt Coordinator
My TV is a 55" rear projection and I am already only about 9 1/2 ft away as it is so moving the couch forward isn't realy a very good option.

Mike Strassburg

Second Unit
I have my rear surrounds on the sides of my couch but angled slightly forward. Try angling yours forward.

I have the 3802 and am VERY happy with it. I'm currently running 7.1 by using a couple of small KLH monitors mounted to the wall behind the couch. Since the speakers are only about 1 foot behind the couch I went with 7.1 to spread the rear soundstage a little. Sounds GREAT to me. The KLH's were free when I bought my JBL's at BB a few years ago.

I'm in the process of converting to Klipsch speakers, but will keep the KLH's in the rear for now. There's not a huge amount of sound out of the rear channel, at least not all the movies I've watched. Hope this helps...Mike

Harry Lincoln

Stunt Coordinator
Tim, both DTS-ES and DDEX are 6.1 channel formats: L/C/R at the front and at the back there are the surr L/R speakers and surr back L/R. The surroud back L&R speakers both produce the same signal, so there are six full range channels played backthrough seven speakers. Some EX/ES receivers have seven onboard amps (3801) and some have only six (yamahas and some onkyos - I think). The higher end Yamahas also use two front effects channels to enhance the effect of the DSP programs(used to simulate theaters, concerts etc).

I have a pseudo EX setup using two Yamaha 5.1 receivers and B&W direct radiating speakers. I have found the best results when the surround L&R speakers are placed directly to the sides of the listening position, with the surroud back speakers locacted at the 1/3 and 2/3 positions on the back wall(all surround speakers are an equal distance from the listening position).

Harry.

Tim_R_H

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know where Yamaha recommends the placement of the front effect speakers? What I'm hoping I might be able to do is use the connections that are a couple of feet in front of my couch for the front effects speakers and maybe just run new cableing under the floor and to each side of my couch for the L/R surrounds. I would just get Bookshelf speakers on stands for those. I would then use the ceiling wiring behind the center of the couch for the rear effect speaker and angle it downward. I was thinking for the rear surround that if I only use one speaker I should get a dipole speaker instead of a direct, any thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks