Confused or depressed ??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rick Osgood, Mar 3, 2002.

1. Rick Osgood

Rick Osgood Extra

I have the HT bug and am excited to proceed. I have spent much time on the AVSForum and some time here. My impressions so far of the requirements for the "average" HT would be an investment of 25K - 100K. This is based on the "right" audio equipment, the "right" projector (TV's not preferred), and an accoustical enginer to set up my room properly. I see threads of double sheet rock with sound

board layers, floating floors, etc. Can I get a reality check here?? How many of you have taken your HT to that level and what is your opinion of an average HT cost.

Note: I have the space in my basement (14 x 20 x 8) and I can do all construction myself.

Thanks in advance to all replies

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Rick,
    I think that the reality around here is much lower price figures and expectation levels. AVS is really the major leagues in a lot of ways- and so sometimes it is painful to try to keep up with the joneses over there.
    I have a dedicated room (which actually you'll find is a minority around here- many people are simply trying to bring thier family room audio to the highest level they can afford).
    I did room design myself- using info I found online and in books. It isn't perfcet- but with the space limits- it is fine.
    I also did the construction myself- double drywall on both sides, heavy insulation-- but no floating construction. If you have the space- you can isolate the walls slightly with some DIY tricks you'll find around here.
    My room is resonably quiet- but certainly not sound proof. Sub bass shakes the house- so I try to respect anyone asleep. [​IMG]
    I have a similar size space to yours, and did all the construction DIY. I have a projector (NEC LT-150), decent receiver, HTPC, Paradigm Speakers, SVS subs, QSC amp driving the SVS, a couple other odds and ends in the rack.
    I would say equipment wise I have about $8000-$10,000 invested (not counting the 300 title DVD collection, CDS or other media)- but over time with slow upgrades over the past 6 years. And the construction of the room probably only cost $300-500 in supplies.
    So I think 25k is a high number- especially depending on your expectations. If you are a big DIY guy, the design and construction should be fine. and if you're a bargain hunter- you can build a very nice equipment list by simply keeping your eyes open for deals and if you have good luck buying used, you can get a very nice system for really low prices..
    -Vince

3. Ken Shiring

Ken Shiring Agent

Rick, breathe deeply man. [​IMG] Don't get all down on us here, especially since this is your first post. Welcome to HTF! I think you will find this forum one of the more valuable ones on the net.

You don't have to spend anywhere near that amount of money to get a quality HT. IMHO, the 25k+ range is for people who are really serious about music listening or have dedicated theater rooms in their house. I myself will be spending around 4-5k total on mine, and I would take the Pepsi challenge against anyone else's dedicated HT any day of the week. [​IMG]

The biggest question here is what you want out of your HT. Tell us a little about what you want, and we will give you an idea how much that would cost. One thing you will probably learn quickly is that there is almost no limit to how much money can be spent on HT. There is always something to acquire that you don't already have. [​IMG]

You can help us help you by answering these questions:
    1. How often will you be watching movies?
    2. Is this a dedicated HT room?
    3. Do you live in an apartment or a house? Where in your residence are you thinking of placing the HT gear? Do you live close to your neighbors?
    4. Will you be listening to music as well? What percentage of the time?
    5. Do you prefer watching new releases, or do you like to watch classic films as well? (stuff like Casablanca, African Queen, etc.)
    6. Do you want HT to become a long term interest? Or is this something you are going through just to achieve a particular end?
    7. What is the viewing distance from your seating area? (This determines screen size)
    8. How interested are you in having the very latest technology? Would you be satisfied without stuff like 7.1 or DPL2?[/list=1]

These questions make a great starting basis for determining what price range we are talking about and how to gauge what you are getting into. [​IMG] Please take a stab at some of these questions and then we can help you man. [​IMG]

4. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

Critical listening and watching is everything. What looks and sounds good to you? Set up your theater to please you and your family. If you can afford it, design or construct a theater that works will all the angles but if not, make sure it is set up so it is pleasing to you. I have freinds over occasionally to watch movies and they aren't what I would factor into critical viewing. So, it is much easier and cheaper to set up a theater for a smaller audience. Is room treatment a must? For accurate and neutral sound ambiance, absolutely. For everyday movie watching with your family, perhaps not. It all depends on your threshold. Some people need to take things to the utmost extreme. Others can be happy with what we might call the "bare minimum" for a home theater. There is no right or wrong, so for anyone to tell you that you must spend at least $xx,xxx or up to have an acceptable HT is misguided. That is what it takes for them to really appreciate HT. It doesn't necessarily relate to you. So, in short, it's an experiment. Start at the ground level and work your way up until you reach a point where you feel satisfied. Don't chase ghosts. You can always go higher. The point is to make the most of your money. Not everyone can afford the stratosphere priced amps and speakers, but it doesn't mean you can't not get high quality performance out of modest priced equipment.
    Bruce

5. Rick Osgood

Rick Osgood Extra

Thanks for the replies so far.

Ken,

1. How often will you be watching movies?

Probably more than I do now. I would guess 3 - 5 a month.

2. Is this a dedicated HT room?

Yes this will be a dedicated room in my basement.

3. Do you live in an apartment or a house? Where in your residence are you thinking of placing the HT gear? Do you live close to your neighbors?

I live in a house and it's less than 5 years old. Higher end construction so pretty air and noise tight. I have neighbors but nothing to worry about.

4. Will you be listening to music as well? What percentage of the time?

I would say no to the music. Maybe some if I have guests over and we are not watching a movie.

5. Do you prefer watching new releases, or do you like to watch classic films as well? (stuff like Casablanca, African Queen, etc.)

I enjoy a range of movies as does my wife. I do like older movies like the ones you listed as well as newer movies. I enjoy 5th Element, Matrix, Fargo, etc.

6. Do you want HT to become a long term interest? Or is this something you are going through just to achieve a particular end?

For this kind of money it's for the long term.

7. What is the viewing distance from your seating area? (This determines screen size)

The final room size is not yet set but approx. 14 x 20 x 8. Seating is not yet worked out as it's a bit early for me to figure that out.

8. How interested are you in having the very latest technology? Would you be satisfied without stuff like 7.1 or DPL2?

I am not hung up on latest and greatest.... I am actually leaning more towards a RPTV (16:9).

Anyway my current equipment list (not yet bought) consists of:

Denon AVR-1802 AV Receiver

Diva Swan package (4.1, 2.1, center)

Panasonic RP91

RPTV (no idea yet)

Any feedback is appreciated.

Rick

6. Ray Melnik

Ray Melnik Agent