What's new

Confused on Mitsubishi model numbers! (1 Viewer)

Mark Lehmkuhl

Stunt Coordinator
I've been looking at Mits RPTV.
Their website lists the 2001-2002 models as:

Platinum(WSxx-511)
Platunum Plus (WSxx-611)

The 2002-2003 models are listed as:

Gold (WS-XX311)
Gold Plus (WS-XX411)

Yet Best Buy has none of these, but has different numbers, and another electronic store in my area (H.H. Gregg) has sets with model numbers WS XX809 and I believe WS XX869.

How do you know what you are getting? I'm interested in a 65 inch set without the built-in HD tuner, but I want a model that I can defeat the red push?

Very frustrating. With Hitachi Ultravision, I see the UWX, SWX, etc at all stores, but Mits seems incredibly confusing.

Any help is appreciated.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
My 2003 Mits Product Catalog lists all models ending with "11". The Diamonds are WS-xx711's, Platinums are WS-xx511, Platinum Plus is WS-xx611, Golds are WS-xx311, 411.

I believe the models ending with 9's are 2002's, as my local dealer is pushing the 55909's out the door.

The models BB carries are stripped down Gold Series (i.e. - they do not have all the functionality of the Golds), and are only available at BB. Not recommended, imho.

Mark Lehmkuhl

Stunt Coordinator
Thats interesting that they are all listed in the 2003 catalog.

On the website they imply that the Platinum/Platinum-Plus are the older models and the Gold/Gold-plus are the newer models. Is this so or not?

James Stierman

Stunt Coordinator
The Golds are the 2003 models the plantium 2003 models aren't due out until october and they all will have integrated hd tuners.

BruceSpielbauer

Second Unit
The web site is accurate (albeit a bit slow). All of the models for both years are listed, with details.

However, you will not find the models in Best Buy on the site (as I recall). As near as anyone can tell, the models in Best Buy appear to be basically the new Gold series (from the 2002-2003 line), but with a few of the features "removed."

With the new line, "Silver" now means it is not a widescreen 16 X 9 set. That is about the only thing you can state for certain, regarding major features.

And, your confusion is understandable. Mits actually used the Silver and Gold and Platinum and Platinum Plus and Diamond names for both years. All of them. However, you cannot correlate last year's sets with this year's, on any given feature. Two of the above names used to mean the sets were analog. Not any more (since they no longer make analog).

Here is my list of the Mits line, for both years.

=========

These are the 2001-2002 models widescreen RPTVs (still in the stores)

Silver Series:
These were analog sets

Gold Series:
These were analog sets

Now, for the true HDTV monitors and HDTV sets:
Platinum Series:
46" WT-46809 (a 46" set)(Does not have the built-in tuner)
55" WS-55809 (a 55" set)(Does not have the built-in tuner)
55" WS-55859 (a 55" set)(This set has the integrated HDTV tuner)
65" WS-65809 (a 65" set))(Does not have the built-in tuner)

Platinum Plus Series:
55" WS-55819 (a 55" set))(Does not have the built-in tuner)
65" WS-65819 (a 65" set))(Does not have the built-in tuner)
65" WS-65869 (a 65" set) (This set has the integrated HDTV tuner)

Diamond Series:
55" WS-55908 (a 55" set))(Does not have the built-in tuner)
55" WS-55909 (a 55" set) (This set has the integrated HDTV tuner)
65" WS-65908 (a 65" set))(Does not have the built-in tuner)
65" WS-65909 (a 65" set) (This set has the integrated HDTV tuner)
73" WS-73909 (a 73" set) (This set has the integrated HDTV tuner)

=======================

The following are the newer 2002-2003 models (most are just appearing in stores, some have not yet arrived yet). Note that Mitsubishi dropped the "analog" from their line, completely.

The Silver, Gold, and Gold Plus Series are all HDTV upgradable (they do NOT have the built-in tuner)

Silver Series
VS-50111 NOT WIDESCREEN Standard 4 X 3 format
VS-60111 NOT WIDESCREEN Standard 4 X 3 format

Gold Series (These are all HDTV upgradable… They do NOT have the built-in tuner)
WT-42311 (a 42" set)
WS-48311 (a 48" set)
WS-55311 (a 55" set)
WS-65311 (a 65" set)

Gold Plus Series (These are all HDTV upgradable… They do NOT have the built-in tuner)
WS-55411 (a 55" set)
WS-65411 (a 65" set)
WS-73411 (a 73" set)

Platinum Series (These are all HDTV TVs… They do have the built-in tuner)
WS-48511 (a 48" set)
WS-55511 (a 55" set)
WS-65611 (a 65" set)

Platinum Plus Series (These are all HDTV TVs… They do have the built-in tuner)
WS-65611 (a 65" set)

Diamond Series (These are all HDTV TVs… They do have the built-in tuner)
WS-55711 (a 55" set)
WS-65711 (a 65" set)
WS-73711 (a 73" set)

Hope this helps,

Bruce in Chi-Town

Scott Tucker

Stunt Coordinator
Mark, everything bruce said is totally accurate. The best value for a 65" is the WS-65809 if you can still find one in stores. The new one would be the WS-65311. Really no difference between them. I am not sure about defeating the red push, short of having a ISF calibration.

Good luck!

Scott

Jim Can

Stunt Coordinator
On the new models, the ones that end in 11 you can now adjust each individual color to defeat the so called red push. I was looking at them yesterday and I can get a real good deal on last years models, the ones that end in 9 but they don't have that adjustment feature. I think I am getting the 55411. Oh, by the way I was told the A55 at Best Buy is the same as the 311.

BruceSpielbauer

Second Unit
>>> On the new models, the ones that end in 11 you can now adjust each individual color to defeat the so called red push. I was looking at them yesterday and I can get a real good deal on last years models, the ones that end in 9 but they don't have that adjustment feature. I think I am getting the 55411. Oh, by the way I was told the A55 at Best Buy is the same as the 311.

Mark Lehmkuhl

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the help - it really clears things up.

I have found a store that has both the 65809 and 65869. Is the built-in tuner in the 65869 worth the extra $$ over the 65809? Are there any other differences?

BruceSpielbauer

Second Unit
RE: the built-in tuner...

The answer as to whether it is worth it to buy a model with the built-in HDTV tuner, is... it depends.

1.) Do you have over the air HDTV broadcasts in your neck of the woods? This tuner will let you put up an antenna, and receive any within antenna distance right now.

2.) That is ALL it will do. This tuner will not do Direct TV, nor will it do Dish network, and it will not do any of the HDTV Cable TV stuff (at least, any that I have ever heard of).

3.) Do you have Direct TV, or do you have the Dish Network? They both offer some (limited) HDTV right now. But, you must have a set top box, and it must be the more expensive variety (with a HDTV decoder), to decode any HDTV stuff. Most of these run $500 plus. A very popular one usually goes for right around $500 (the Hughes E86 for Direct TV). There is a similar one for the Dish Network, made by RCA. Now, for the important matter... These set top boxes will do both the satellite AND also the over the air. So, if this is your plan, that built-in tuner is really a waste of money, since the box you will have to have for your satellite HDTV will ALSO do your antenna HDTV stuff. If this is the case, do not spend the extra $$ on the built-in tuner on the TV.

4.) Finally, for Cable TV... Right now, very few Cable TV providers have any HDTV. A few do, and this is improving. But, you must have the Cable TV box to get it. Now, this gets much more complicated. Each provider tends to use their own system and their own boxes. Most of these boxes will NOT do over the air, antenna stuff. This would depend on your own cable provider, of course, which may not yet even be offering this. All of the major Cable TV companies have promised to be offering some HDTV to "most" of their markets by January 1.

So, the answer depends on where you live (most larger cities have some HDTV right now); whether you are a satellite subscriber or will be in the near future; and whether you are a Cable TV subscriber and who you deal with for this service.

Example: I skipped the built in tuner on the set. I live in a large city, which has HDTV. With the built in tuner, I could have HDTV right now, if I threw an antenna up. BUT... I plan on switching to satellite VERY soon, and then my box will allow for the over the air stuff too. So, when I make the switch, I will buy the expensive set top box, and I will put up one dish and one antenna.

Hope this helps...

-Bruce in Chi-Town

Mark Lehmkuhl

Stunt Coordinator
Excellent info, thanks. I currently have Warner cable, but ws going to switch to DirectTV wuth the purchase of the new set.

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
I just picked up the 55311 this weekend. Man, it rocks! Anyway, I bought mine through a local Mitsubishi dealer for instead of Best Buy because fo the differences in the model. The Best Buy version doesn't have the color tuned shield (nice, but not a necessity) and, the big one, the ability to adjust all the color fields individually (Cyan, Magenta, Red, Green,etc). That feature is very desirable on not found on the Best Buy set. Since I paid a little less than what Best Buy wanted for a model with more features, it was an easy choice. I think you'd do good with a set for last year, however, if you have the opportunity for someone to calibrate it for you professionally. For the same price, go this year. For a good discount, you could go either way.

Good luck!

Matt

Matt Jesty

Second Unit
One other advantage of mitsu hd tuners "built-in" is tt they will accept "qam in the clear"....a straight through HDcable feed that eliminates the need for the "high quality" scientific atlanta/jerrold/tocom box,,,,,,,,,,Comcast is still talking like this is their eventual plan for HD cable.........

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I was looking at a 55311 yesterday at my friend's house, and from what we could see it didn't allow the color adjustments on the 480p input, only on 480i or S-video. Anybody know anything about that? Isn't the 480p the one place it'd be really nice to have it?

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
Keith,
Per the manual, it's only 480i. Would have been nice on 480p, though. Still a great picture and will most likely prove as tweakable as most previous models. (Let's hope!)

Matt

Cary G

Auditioning
I bought the new WA48 (I think that is the BB model number). It is the same as the 48311, with a few options missing. However, since this is my first HDTV, I really don't know what I am missing. Also, I got this TV for 1700 at BB due to the manager putting one out on the floor and was not supposed to. He knocked 400 off the sale price of 2100 and I could not turn down the deal. I personally love the TV and if you can get as good a deal at a BB store, I would do it. Otherwise shop around and get a full-featured Mitsu for the same price as the BB model.

As for the missing options, I can override the VSM thru the service menu (VMLE? set to 0 vs 1,2,3) and I can build a red-push attentuator from Radio Shack for very little money, so 2 problems with the missing options have been reduced/eliminated.

Chris Clarno

Agent
Real Name
Christian
The only difference in BestBuys Mits and the XX311 at other retailers is the protective screen. The 311's offer a "color tuned" sheild while BBs units simply use a clear screen protector. Electroniclly, they are the same!

Cary G

Auditioning
That's what I initially figured, however, some of the menu options also have been removed. You cannot change the settings of each color cathode, and you cannot turn off the VSM from the video menu. However, you can still access some, if not all, of these options via the service menu, if you know what the heck you are doing.

(jumping in from my own BB Mitsu thread)

So what's the deal with the color shield? Is it just a gimmick or not?

And do we have a list of which features are at least accessible through the service menus, and which ones are completely absent?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks