What's new

Confused on how to switch into 16:9 on my widescreen (1 Viewer)

Kyle Postler

Auditioning
I have a 48" JVC HDTV that is wide screen and i am alittle confused about something.

When i watch 4:3 cable TV i set my aspect mode to panorama which fills in all the edges. I also have a cinema, full and regular mode. They all seem to stretch the picture so the 4:3 picture fits in the whole screen except regular which make a 4:3 box(gray sides).

My question is, what mode do i put it in with my dvd player which plays them in 16:9? I usually keep it in panorama still but wouldn't that be cutting off the sides of the picture because it is stretching it too even though it is 16:9? If i put the mode to regular with the 16:9 video coming in it still just makes a 4:3 box(gray side) and the skinny letter box on the top and bottom(black sides).

What do i need to do?

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Kyle,

You need to set your DVD player to 16x9. That way it won't convert widescreen images to 4x3. Your TV can be set to "normal" (the same setting you use for widescreen HDTV transmissions).

You may want to visit our FAQ section to read about the movies that are wider still: 2.35:1, or so. They will always have bands above and below them, the same way 4:3 images will have black bands on the sides of your screen.

Congratulations with a nice HDTV set!

Cees

Kyle Postler

Auditioning
ya i have the DVD player set to 16:9 thats why i am kinda confused on what i should set the TV at. I will go check out the FAQ thing and i will also take a couple screen shots of my TV to show you want i mean. Thankz

EDIT: the DVD i have are mostly 2.35:1 and a couple that are 1.85:1

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Kyle,

My only hesitation is the naming convention of your TV. I think the setting you need is what you called "regular". It's the setting (if you have to try) that makes people look as normal as can be (not thin or fat). You may want to choose a 16x9 title for that, preferably "enhanced for widescreen". Then find the setting that does the above while completely filling your screen.

If someone on this forum has exactly (or almost) the same TV set, he/she can tell you what that setting is called on your set.

Good luck,

Cees

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Kyle:

Leave the DVD player in 16:9 mode.

I am guessing from what you described that you want to set the TV to "full" for 16:9 enhanced (anamorphic) programs and "regular" for 4:3 full screen programs. One of the modes must do a zoom for non-anamorphic letterbox programs 16:9 and greater which fills the width instead of having blank areas on all four sides. The "panoramic" and "cinema" settings probably stretch the sides more than the middle.

If you have a crowd and people are sitting way off to the side, feel free to use "full" for 4:3 programs.

Panoramic, Full, and Cinema are the same width. They won't clip the sides except for a slight amount because of overscan.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Kyle Postler

Auditioning
i see what you are saying but wouldn't you think the panorama mode would stretch the 1.85:1 image coming in from the DVD as it would with a 4:3 picture from cable?

i took some shots, they are not the best but it shows you.

My TV Screen Shots

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Kyle,

The 16x9 image is not "wider" electrically than a 4x3 image. So "panorama" will only give it its proper width, not chop something off (if it didn't chop off anything of the sides of a 4x3 image).

As far as your pictures can be judged, this is how it looks to me:
- panorama is good for enhanced-for-widescreen images
- cinema is good for not-enhanced widescreen images.

(And please, also consult the manual of your TV!)

BTW: doesn't it have an "automatic" position (if it has, it can "see" for itself whether or not the image is enhanced - although some DVD have a flag for that set wrongly).

Cees

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Including any black bar material prerecorded on the disk or added by a DVD player in 4:3 mode, they're (the various aspect ratio programs) are electronically all the same "height" too as they enter the TV video inputs.

It is up to the TV aspect ratio selection (and the HSIZ and VSIZ overscan controls) to determine how much of the screen the picture takes up, or how much (supposedly black material) is pushed off the top and bottom as a zooming selection would do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks