What's new

Confused on a couple Onkyo TX-SR703 audio settings (1 Viewer)

Joe Pick

Stunt Coordinator
I used the set-up mic to run the speaker configuration on my Onkyo TX-SR703. I use PSB Image Series speakers and sub for my 5.1 setup, with no rear surrounds. I don't have HDTV yet, and the 703 is connected to my DVD via optical digital, to my Airport Express via digital optical, and the rest (Comcast box, DS-A1 for iPod) is red-and-white RCA audio.

When going through the 703's manual I came across two audio settings that I'm not sure about.

1) Low-Pass Filter for the LFE channel: 80Hz is the default, but options are for 90, 100 or 120Hz. What should the setting be for my movie, music and TV?

2) Subwoofer Mode: Options are "LFE only (THX)" or "Double Bass". I think the default is for Double Bass, but I'm not sure what it should be.

Neither of these two options are set automtically by the Automatic Speaker Setup.

Thanks for your time and help!

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Double bass is LFE and Two channel mix. If you set it to LFE only the sub will only be used when there is a discrete LFE channel present i.e. 5.1 or 6.1 audio tracks. With the double bass on the sub will also work with stereo sources such as pro-logic material or cd's.

The low-pass should be set to were your front speakers roll-off so try to find the specs for your speakers.

Hope this helps,

Seth=L

Joe Pick

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, Seth.

LF Cutoff -10dB is 30Hz for my front towers. Is that what you mean?

Other specs
On Axis @ 0°±3dB: 35-23,000Hz
On Axis @ 0°±1 1/2dB: 48-20,000Hz
Off Axis @ 30°±1 1/2dB: 48-10,000Hz

Any idea what these two settings should be, based on this?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks