What's new

Confused...crossovers, phase, etc. (1 Viewer)

Zach

Agent
Admittedly, I've NEVER calibrated my sub. BAD, BAD HT BUFF! I know.

So...I'm trying now. I've used the Avia disc and done the best I can, but I seem to have a big hole in my low freq. sweep between 140-150Hz and 100-90Hz.

I've got a JBL SCS300 5.1 speaker set up (5 small satellites) running on a Sony 444ES receiver. The JBL sub has a "volume" knob only, which has been calibrated to be in line with the five other channels using the SPL meter.

The receiver does allow me to set frequencies on all 5 channels. All 5 seem to indicate the same holes. All speakers are currently set to "small" and the frequencies on the sub are currently at 100Hz.

I don't even know where to begin addressing this problem. Is it in the cutover settings on the receiver? The volume on the sub?

Any insight would be great! I feel so stupid...I've always picked up this calibration stuff on the first try. This sub stuff is really stumping me! The search function on this forum hasn't been working for a couple hours...so I apologize in advance because I KNOW this question has been asked before.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Do you know the frequency response of your speakers? You say they're small, so they may start to roll off right around 100Hz or above. Try setting the crossover on your receiver to 110Hz or 120Hz and see if that helps out. The dip between 140-150Hz may just be a room interaction unless you speakers are dropping off that high in which case you've got other problems.

Zach

Agent
Thanks for the feedback, Seth.

The speakers' manual does state 100Hz as the frequency response, so I adjusted the crossover at 110Hz on the receiver. That didn't really fully solve the problem, but it "shortened" the gap.

I guess I'll have to live with that "hole".

I appreciate your insight!

Zach

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks