Confused- bipole vs. tripole

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David W Collier, Apr 28, 2002.

1. David W Collier

I plan to buy some new surround speakers for my 5.1 system but I am confused about the terms bipole and tripole. Please lead me down the correct path.

2. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I am not sure if there is a absolute on what speakers to run for rear channel. THX recomends bipole speakers if I am not mistaken. DTS recomendes something else and Dolby Digital probly recomends something else. Not that imho DD opion means anything. But I honestly beleive that the only way to figure this out is to do lots of listening and pick what you like. What ultimatly sounds great to me or anyone else here may not sound good to you. I am really into making my HT system sounding as good as I can for the money. And I am still working on this paticular area in rear speakers.

3. BruZZi

BruZZi Second Unit

4. David W Collier

Thanks Dave. I will try to find a local dealer to listen to my the ones on my short list.

Glauco, the M7K 55 is the speaker that I am considering. Don't think the wife will let me hang a larger speaker on the wall in the living room.

Tahnks for the feedback!

5. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

A tripole is supposed to be a bipole and a monopole in one enclosure. The M&K can actually be toggled so you can use it as a monopole for music and a bipole for HT, or as both at the same time.