Confused as hell--need help!!

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Scott Stephens, Sep 7, 2003.

1. Scott Stephens

Scott Stephens Stunt Coordinator

OK, this is going to be a lengthy post and hopefully someone can help me with at least some of my questions.

First of all, I'm a current DirecTV subscriber with just a basic unit (one room only), and I've pretty much decided to get a DirecTivo receiver. If I'm not mistaken, I can get one off the DirecTV site for a decent price.

OK, here's where I get confused--and please forgive me if the topic has been discussed ad naseum--in order to record 2 shows simultaneously, I need a "dual output LNB." I'm confused as to what this is, exactly. I'm assuming it means that there are 2 coax outputs coming from the dish. My dish (basic unit) was purchased in late 2001, so is it equipped? Or do I have to add new hardware or even buy a new dish? I live about an hour and a half from the nearest dealer, so will THEY have to come out to make any modifications, or is it something I can do myself, assuming I don't need a new dish? Any information on this would be of great help.

Next question...like I said, I live quite a ways from civilization. My current internet connection is crappy dial-up, which I pay way too much per month for. DSL is not available here and probably won't be for awhile. I was thinking about getting the high speed internet access through DirecTV, but the website is pretty sparse on details about this. If I do this, will I have to purchase a new dish or receiver? And if anyone knows anything about this service, please elaborate on the good/bad aspects of it. I also can't find anything on the website about cost, which concerns me. So if anyone has any info on this service (DirecWay) please let me know.

I hope someone can give me some direction. Thanks.

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert

3. Scott Stephens

Thanks Robert.

I checked my satellite dish and there's only one coaxial cable coming out of this. What do I need to do to add another LNB input? Please specify hardware, materials, and how to do it, if at all possible. Thanks.

4. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Just because there is only one coax coming out of your dish doesn't mean you don't have a dual LNB. You will have to remove the LNB from the mounting arm and look at it. In the unlikely event that you don't have a dual LNB you can order one from just about any of the online DirecTV retailers or pick one up at Best Buy, Circuit City, Wal-Mart, etc. A phillips screwdriver and maybe a pair of pliers should be the only tools you need to swap LNBs.

-Robert

5. Scott Stephens

Thanks again Robert. I'll check it when I get home today and post back tonight if I have any questions.