What's new

Confused as hell--need help!! (1 Viewer)

Scott Stephens

Stunt Coordinator
OK, this is going to be a lengthy post and hopefully someone can help me with at least some of my questions.

First of all, I'm a current DirecTV subscriber with just a basic unit (one room only), and I've pretty much decided to get a DirecTivo receiver. If I'm not mistaken, I can get one off the DirecTV site for a decent price.

OK, here's where I get confused--and please forgive me if the topic has been discussed ad naseum--in order to record 2 shows simultaneously, I need a "dual output LNB." I'm confused as to what this is, exactly. I'm assuming it means that there are 2 coax outputs coming from the dish. My dish (basic unit) was purchased in late 2001, so is it equipped? Or do I have to add new hardware or even buy a new dish? I live about an hour and a half from the nearest dealer, so will THEY have to come out to make any modifications, or is it something I can do myself, assuming I don't need a new dish? Any information on this would be of great help.

Next question...like I said, I live quite a ways from civilization. My current internet connection is crappy dial-up, which I pay way too much per month for. DSL is not available here and probably won't be for awhile. I was thinking about getting the high speed internet access through DirecTV, but the website is pretty sparse on details about this. If I do this, will I have to purchase a new dish or receiver? And if anyone knows anything about this service, please elaborate on the good/bad aspects of it. I also can't find anything on the website about cost, which concerns me. So if anyone has any info on this service (DirecWay) please let me know.

I hope someone can give me some direction. Thanks.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I also can't find anything on the website about cost, which concerns me.
The last time I looked at this it was around $800 to $1000 for the equipment and about $75/month for the service. Your average DirecTV installer is not capable of installing these system. They have specially trained installers just for this. Since you are already far away for your installer you might want to check to see if he is qualified for this installation.

-Robert

Scott Stephens

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Robert.

I checked my satellite dish and there's only one coaxial cable coming out of this. What do I need to do to add another LNB input? Please specify hardware, materials, and how to do it, if at all possible. Thanks.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Just because there is only one coax coming out of your dish doesn't mean you don't have a dual LNB. You will have to remove the LNB from the mounting arm and look at it. In the unlikely event that you don't have a dual LNB you can order one from just about any of the online DirecTV retailers or pick one up at Best Buy, Circuit City, Wal-Mart, etc. A phillips screwdriver and maybe a pair of pliers should be the only tools you need to swap LNBs.

-Robert

Scott Stephens

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks again Robert. I'll check it when I get home today and post back tonight if I have any questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks