1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Confused and looking for advice.....

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Tommy*M, Dec 6, 2003.

1. Tommy*M

Tommy*M Auditioning

Hi...I have been seriously looking at DVD recorders for about a year now. Although I'm happy there have been a ton of new models introduced, all the choices have made this more confusing for me. I know a lot of you own one of these, and I figure this is the best place to look for advice.
    For starters, although picture quality is important, I'm still in the dark ages and only have a 32" tube television and a cheap 3-speaker sound system, so my set-up isn't fancy. I'm looking mainly to move all of my VHS tapes of self-recorded TV shows and movies that will probably never find their way to DVD. Every time I look at my VHS collection I think about how much they're deteriorating (some of them have already become unwatchable).
    I would love something I could have some control over as far as editing commercials out, etc. since I was lazy and left a lot of them in when I originally recorded. I'm basically looking for something at least semi user-friendly that I won't wind up throwing over the balcony in frustration. I'd also like one that records on both +/- R/RW if possible, but not a requirement. I don't know if an internal hard drive should be important to me or not, but I'll definitely follow any advice I get here as to things like that that I should maybe think more about. My spending limit is around $500.00, which should be fine since the high-end ones are all a lot more that I need (I think). If any of you have any recommendations, I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance for any help or guidance.

Tom

2. Geoffrey

Geoffrey Auditioning

I recommend the Panasonic E-80. It is within your budget and should do what you want. This has a built in hardrive and it will come handy especially when you want to do the editing of your vhs collection . I have never use one but I have the E100 which is similar to the E80 but has the larger hardrive + Firewire input. Both can only record on DVD-R and DVD-RAM.

3. John S

John S Producer

I bought a DVD-Camcorder for this purpose. So you get this capability and an ultra cool camcorder too. :)