confused about YPAO-yamaha rxv1400

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by dannyG, Oct 17, 2003.

1. dannyG

dannyG Agent

Purchased the rxv1400 yesterday. One of the reasons was for the YPAO feature. The problem is you can't use this feature unless you can see the OSD. My sat/cab box does not have an optical outlet on it, therefore I can not run optical to the receiver. Without it I have no OSD.

Any suggestions? Maybe i am doing something wrong.

I can't believe Yamaha would have this receiver setup this way knowing that not every piece of equipment in someones HT Is not up to date.

2. John-Tompkins

John-Tompkins Second Unit

Im just running a regular composite rca connection from the rx-v2400 out to my mitsubishi input for my osd video needs (no need for a digital connection).

3. Tommy T

Tommy T Stunt Coordinator

I have the RX-V2400 also and yes you can connect it via s-video or composite. I'm using component but it still should work.
    Also, I didn't think you needed the OSD to run YPAO, just to see the results. I could be wrong because I did use the OSD.

By the way, I love this receiver!

Tommy

4. MatthewC

MatthewC Extra

I just run my s-video from the monitor out on the reciever to an s-video input on the t.v.

5. dannyG

dannyG Agent

Thanks for all your help. I had the s-video running from the receiver to the sat/cab box. That did not work but I moved it to the tv instead of the sat/cab box and it works fine.

6. DaveBB

DaveBB Supporting Actor

Can any of you 1400/2400 owners give a little feedback as to how the YPAO works?

7. MatthewC

MatthewC Extra

DaveBB,

Actually, the YPAO feature is very easy to use. You set your microphone as close to your actual listening as possible, at ear level, keeping the room as quiet as possible. You have to be have the OSD hooked up, or you won't be able to see the results. Once the setup is started, it does everything by itself. It calibrates room size, DB levels, speaker size, equalization, speaker level and distance. You can set the speakers to flat, low, or high levels. The test takes just a few minutes. It adjusts everything and tailors it to your room size and accoustics. I've never heard my system sound so good and rich before. A great feature. This reciever also has video up conversion, which is a great feature also. I love my RX-V1400 Yammie so far!

8. John B

John B Auditioning

I just purchased the 1400, and I think the YPAO is great. I found a couple things it did pretty weird, but I'm not knowledgeable enough yet that I can accurately second guess it.
    First it set my crossover frequency to 160. This is probably because of my NHT Superzeros (I run 5), but that still seems a bit high to me.
    I also ran it 3 times in a row, without changing speaker positions, microphone position, etc., and each time, it output different values for level and equalization. I wonder if this is always the case since there will always be a bit of ambient noise intefering. I might try running the YPAO 10 times or so over different periods of the day, logging the values, and then using an average.

I was also wondering if someone could tell me the differences between the 1400 and 2400. The only differences I've found are 2 extra surround programs, an additional 10W per channel, and a different remote. Are there any others?

Thanks!

-john

9. Mike Up

Mike Up Second Unit

John,

Awhile back others were saying the same with the Pioneer Elite 45TX's MACC feature. They would run it several times and get different readings.

To me, that's a flawed system and the new Yamaha's look to be the same. If you like it, that's great but I hardly think these system's are actually more accurate. They may sound better to someone, but that's a preference just like using a stand alone EQ.

Yamaha's PDF on the 2400 showed a before and after result. There wasn't much difference except in the upper bass and I'm sure that was taken from a best situation where room acoustics and the electronic's stability showed an improvement that could be documented. However, that result was just frequency and nothing else. Since I'm a purist, I would let it be unused. Just like stand alone EQ, they may sound better but in the end would be farther from the true sound then left alone. I know others will fight to defend the use of these self calibrating systems, but I just seen to many posts where inconsistencies were the norm. To me, an unstable/inconsistant procedure isn't an accurate one.

Just my opinion.

10. Dennis XYZ

Dennis XYZ Stunt Coordinator

11. Mike Up

Mike Up Second Unit