Confused about Stereo and Direct Mode on Denon 2802

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Vlad D, Mar 13, 2002.

1. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    I've been using "Direct" mode on my Denon 2802 thinking that it is 2-channel stereo, but there is also a "Stereo" mode. What is the difference? I have't been able to discern any difference in sound by switching back and forth between the two modes.

Vlad

2. KrisM

KrisM Second Unit

I don't use a Denon(I use a Marantz sr7000), but I believe with stereo you can use the bass and treble controls. Direct mode will also give you stereo but the tone controls are by-passed. If the tone controls are by-passed, the signal chain is shorter and the sound will be better. I don't hear much difference with my receiver, but I used to have a Yamaha integrated stereo amplifier that showed a pretty big improvement with the direct mode. Hope this helps.

Regards

KrisM

3. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

stereo - goes through dac/adc for bass management and tone control

direct - bypass dac/adc, tone and DSP sections. catch is (i think) if you use a subwoofer then even direct goes through adc/dac conversion. turning sub to OFF is closer to a real "direct" mode.

I think. There was a very indepth discusion on this a month ago about the 3802 direct and just how "direct" it was.

4. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

John's rundown is very close to the truth.

I would add that in stereo mode the L-R if highpassed would retain it's analog source but would be sent through the tone controlls.In direct mode none of this happens,but the receiver[2802 and up]uses an analog paralell bass managment for the sub[lowpass only],if you turn this feature on,it's controlled by the "sub" level.

5. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Hmmm, I'll have to mess with my 3802 when I get home. I always use the "direct" mode, but noticed the other day (when I left my sub on) that even in direct mode, the receiver was routing the lowest signals to the sub. However, in the manual, I did read that it's possible (on the channel level screen) to turn the sub off as John pointed out above.

6. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Vlad: On a 2 channel analog signal, both modes remain analog. Direct bypasses the analog highpass filters (if you had the mains set as "Small") and analog tone controls. Plain old Analog allows you to still use your mains as Small and adjust the tone controls (if you want to.)
    See my longer reply in http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=55850

7. Parsh Patel

Parsh Patel Auditioning

Chuck,

I read your longer reply. Thanks for the detail. Do you know if the Direct mode in the Denon 2700 works like it does for the 5700 (i.e., parallel bass management)? The 2700 model is old...probably about 3-4 years old now.

8. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Parsh: No, I don't know for sure.

At the time the 5700 and 3300 came out, Denon made a big deal about the fact of the parallel bass manangement setup. Before that point, I was not aware of the feature. The 2700 is of the same generation as the 3200 and 5600. 1 step earlier. So I just don't know...

9. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    Ok, so if I understand this correctly, both modes are anlog but direct mode bypasses tone control and stereo does not. I'm a newbie so forgive my ignorance, what is the advantage tone control or rather bypassing tone control?

10. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Bypassing any curcuit will leave the signal as "pure" as possible which presumed to "have infuence" on the sound[positively].