Confused about native resolutions (front projectors, etc)

Discussion in 'Displays' started by KyleT, Mar 16, 2005.

1. KyleT

KyleT Stunt Coordinator

I understand all about native resolutions themselves... but what doesn't make sense to me is that from what I understand, HD in 1080i is 1080 verticle lines of resolution, right? So wouldn't I need something with a native verticle res of 1024 to get close to the full effect for 1280 verticle for the full effect?

Most of the home theater projectors I've been looking at on projectorcentral.com are in the 768 verticle pixels range. So in that case won't 720i and 1080i look almost the same?

I want to be able to anjoy HD-DVD and Bluray to the fullest extent possible in the future.

Thanks

2. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

HD for broadcast video can be either 720p or 1080i or 1080p. Most broadcasters use either 720p or 1080i.

As for projectors, if you are talking about fixed pixel displays, like DLP, LCD, and LCoS, then ideally you would want one with a native 1920x1080 resolution (aka 2K) such that you can take full advantage of the added resolution of 1080i and 1080p video.

There are several 2K projectors that will be available this year, but they won’t be cheap. I suspect we might see some fall below the $5,000 range as early as Q4 2006, but that will depend on demand.

There are several affordable 1280x720 projectors, some which perform quite well which should offer you an excellent experience when playing back all HD material, they just wont be optimized for 1080i/p.

My top choice for the most bang for the buck would have to be Panasonic's AE700 which can be had for just over $2,000 and performs amazingly well with an excellent interpolater & scaler; superb color accuracy; one of the least noticeable SDE even compared to DLP; plenty bright; and has surprisingly good black level & shadow detail.

3. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

I almost missed this.

If by 1024 you mean SXGA (1280x1024) then the answer is no. If you displayed a 1.78 image (HD) on an SXGA display it would not use 304 of the vertical lines, and display it as 1280x720. In order to display 1024 vertical lines in HD you would need a WSXGA projector at 1820x1024.

Keep in mind, there isn't any cropping going on, just that when a projector's resolution doesn't match pixel for pixel the source, then it will scale the image to match the projector's native resolution. In an ideal world you would always want 1:1 pixel matching/mapping for all images, such that if you were watching 720p HD you would get fewer artificial scaling artifacts if you watched it on a 1280x720 projector instead of a 1920x1080 projector.

The good news is that even the most pedestrian of video processors does a surprisingly good job. This was not the case even as recently as five years ago.

4. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer