What's new

Confused about LFE on Sub (1 Viewer)

JW3571

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathan
I posted yesterday about hooking up a new Boston Acoustics sub. I actually have the sub now(still waiting on my Onkyo SR806). It looks like there is two options, One LFE connection or a Left and Right A/V connection. Which should I use? I don't really understand the difference between the two. WHich one is most preferred?

troy evans

Screenwriter
The best thing to do is to run a single audio cable from the receivers "subwoofer out" to either one, "left in" or "right in". Just pick one, it makes no difference.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I'd use the LFE. The difference is, when using the LFE from the "Sub Out" on the rear of the receiver is that the subwoofers internal cross-over is bypassed. You want to use the receivers cross-over anyways.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I got the LFE info from here.. I couldn't find a manual for a BA sub with an LFE input to download. Didn't care at all for their website.

JW3571

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathan
Thanks Gene C, I was thinking the LFE was the way to go. I was surprised when someone said to just go to the left/right input.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Assuming (and I'm taking a big leap here) the LFE input bypasses the crossover, then that is the correct input. Normally, the inputs are L/R RCA connectors.

If you want clear answers, you have to ask the correct questions.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Not such a big leap
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
. I'm pretty sure it does bypass the internal crossover. There's one way to find out. Try it both ways and see what happens.

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
From the page link above - the LFE input does indeed bypass the crossover on that sub - and is what you should be using....if you use either the left or the right connection you will be adding the crossover...

Here is the quote:

"Line Level Inputs: The CS Sub 10 has three gold-plated RCA line level inputs, a stereo input and a mono LFE (Low Frequency Effects) channel input. The LFE output from a receiver is already crossed over so the sub's crossover is bypassed. When the stereo inputs are used the signal is routed to the CS Sub 10's crossover."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zoobird
Recent bookmarks