What's new

Confused about HDMI Switchers & Other Things (1 Viewer)

Robemm

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert Emm
We are in the beginning stage of putting together a nice, albeit "not too expensive" HT. We just bought a new (2011/12) Insignia 55" HDTV from Best Buy; and like most newer HDTV's, it only has 3 HDMI inputs so I'm considering a 5x1 or maybe an 8x1 HDMI switch. I doubt that I'll ever need 8 inputs; but who knows what tomorrow's technology will bring me. I also haven't considered a/v receivers.
Anyway, since I know so little; and don't really know what I don't know, I've been looking at switchers that range in price from $29.95 to several hundred dollars (5x1) and $79.95 to several hundred dollars (8x1). I want to get components that are going to give us good vid/audio; but I don't want to buy product "a" for $350 when product "b" does the same quality job for $52.95.
FWIW, we are (Comcast) cable connected; and just bought a ROKU 2 XS as well as an AppleTV (since my wife already has an iTunes subscription) streaming device, so there goes my 3 HDTV HDMI inputs. We already have an older "upscaling" DVD player; and are looking to get a Bluray player fairly soon.
I'm not really a "brand snob" so I don't look for specific brands of "stuff"; but I'm not against paying a bit more for a brand "b" set if it'll be better than a similar brand "a".
So I guess my questions are about HDMI switchers vs a/v receivers and HTiB sets.
Thanks in advance for any and all ideas, advice, and suggestions.
Rob

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
The easiest (not cheapest) way to do this would be to use an A/V receiver as your switching device. You would run everything into receiver, then run one HDMI cable out to TV. If you are not going to hook up a receiver to the TV, then you should just use an HDMI switch. I recommend you look at Monoprice.com for the switch and all cables. It appears you currently need 4 HDMI inputs. Once you buy the Blu-ray player, you don't need the upscaling DVD player.
DO NOT buy a HTIB.

Robemm

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert Emm
Good morning Jim, thanks for the response, I appreciate the input.
If/when we do consider an a/v receiver, ILO an HDMI switcher, it'll have to be one compatible with/capable of being utilized with our next TV, one that is 3D capable. The current TV is new; but not 3D capable. It was just available at such a great price we couldn't pass it up.
For now though since we're only here in Colorado temporarily; and living in a 2d floor leased condo, I'm a bit leery of getting an a/v receiver, new speakers for surround sound, etc. since I don't know how "soundproofed" these units are. Not to mention that our downstairs have a very small child; and another on the way.
So, I'm guessing that you are not a fan of HTiB systems.
Thanks again for the response.
Rob

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Sorry, I got the impression from your post that you were thinking of a receiver and speakers purchase. If not, then all you need to do is buy a HDMI switch.

Robemm

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert Emm
Thanks again Jim. My current thinking is to go with just an HDMI switch; however, there seem to be a gazillion or so 5x1's available priced everywhere from $19.95 up to the thousands. I don't want to spend "just a little" for one that isn't reliable; but I don't want to spend several hundred dollars for one when a similar switcher priced much lower will do the same quality job.
Anyone with HDMI mfg/model experiences please chime in. Conversely, anyone who has reasons to stay far far away from switchers, please chime in also.
Thanks,
Rob

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Like I said above, I would buy the switch from Monoprice.com. They are a great company and stand behind their products.
There are numerous reviews(for each switch) on their website you can check out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks