Confused about DVD+/-RW? Sony to the rescue with a combo drive!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike_G, Oct 24, 2002.

1. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    Hi all,
    Last night I was poking around the internet looking for a DVD-R drive. I have one on my Mac but if I want to use my Windows machine to burn DVDs I have to put the drive in a Firewire case, and I can't use my Mac's drive, etc. So with the prices dropping I thought it would be time to buy my PC her own. The problem I had was whether to go with - or +. I prefer - but as we all know (*cough*BETA*cough*) sometimes it takes a little endorsement to push one format away.

In comes Sony with their DVD+/-RW drive.

It does EVERYTHING. Absofrickinlutely EVERYTHING. DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, CD-R, CD-RW. Price? $350 at CC. Have a friend or a family member whose DVD player can't play that DVD of your kids? No problem! Pop on a disc of the OTHER format and try that. Whoo!

Just thought I'd let you all know about it if anyone's on the fence about which format to buy.

EDIT: The model # is DRU-500A

Mike

2. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ

3. TyC

TyC Stunt Coordinator

This is the burner I will choose when I make DVDs. A couple members of the AVS Forum have already purchased it. If you are interested, the thread is Got my DRU-500A today.

4. John Parris

John Parris Stunt Coordinator

In case you're interested, NEC has a similar product coming out in November that will burn all the formats... DVD-R/+R at 4x max... I think it's the only one announced that will burn the - and + discs at 4x....

The grounds of DVD-burning arent yet fertile enough for me to comit my hard-earned dollars just yet... maybe 6 months from now... Quality media is just too expensive.

5. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    I paid $10 per blank CD when they first came out.
    $5 a pop from Apple isn't bad at all.
    Mike

6. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    Everything I read about this says it's a great drive. Some compatibility problems with older +/-RW media. Good software bundle (although packet-writing software is missing from the package). Now I just wish I could find one.

7. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

8. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

Looks like I might be getting a DVD burner sooner than I thought now.

9. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

Got mine last week. About $250 in that sweet deal that Dell was offering, a low price plus a 10% coupon code. Only I haven't had much time to play with it. I burned one CD and one DVD+RW, both seem to work fine.

10. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

NEC has a similar product coming out in November that will burn all the formats... DVD-R/+R at 4x max... I think it's the only one announced that will burn the - and + discs at 4x....

Of course the question is if the media will handle that speed. Some brands of 2x media still only burn properly at 1x speeds.

$5 a pop from Apple isn't bad at all.

Its about $4 too much. Shop around and you can find good quality DVD-Rs for about $1 each including shipping. Quality isn't synonymous with the "name" brands.

11. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

Quality certainly isn't synonymous with the cheapest discs either. I'm sure there are discs cheaper than $5 that are just as reliable, but for now I'm going to be wary of the sub-$1 discs. Call it coaster insurance.

12. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Has anybody seen the new Cendyne DVD burner (i belive its DVD-R/RW)? It was on bestbuy for $199 after rebates awhile back (saw it on The Screen Savers) [​IMG]