Confused about DVD pricing

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Andrews, Sep 19, 2002.

1. Scott Andrews

How does North American DVD charge only $69.00 for Ken Burns Civil War and 62.00 for The World At War? When all others charge $99.00 up for both. Is it too good to be true? I have never bought from them. I usually buy from the the gang at Ken Cranes.
    Would love some insight.
    Scott

2. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Part of the reason is that they're in Canada, and the Canadian dollar is roughly $1.60 to 1 US dollar. So while Canadian prices are a bit higher in raw dollars, when you convert it's substantial savings. For example you can typically pick up X-Files boxes for $70 from Canada

4. RichardMA

RichardMA Second Unit

Unlike the British, who have less money than the Americans
    but pay more for DVDs, Canadians have it easy. We have
    less money than Americans too but the industry here has rationalized selling some DVDs for less money is
    better than selling no DVDs at all. Something IMAGE
    and Criterion should UNDERSTAND as they seem to be
    the only mainstream DVD producers selling into Canada
    at high prices. Anchor Bay's (for instance) are generally
    well-priced here and Warner is dirt cheap.
    But you can get RAPED on price in Canada if you are silly
    enough to shop HMV, Tower (are there any still here?)
    or our monopolistic book stores, Indigo-Chapters.

5. paul watkins

paul watkins Stunt Coordinator

if you did'nt know their prices are in u.s currency.i buy there all the time,at least once a month.they are cheaper than alot of online retailers.no tax no import tax.cheap shipping.and they are cheap on new releases too.it takes four days to get my order from them also.not bad.but i have to say not many people here on this forum use them for what ever reason,alot of 9.99 titles,i never pay mor than 17.00 for a new release.but watch out for big name new releases for they are the canadian version and can lack some features and audio tracks,not to mention those awful french cover art.i got a beutiful mind and time machine,although neither of these have any difference from us version but has the french cover art,just look and compare versions from other web sites to make sure.they also have good prices on pre order items.they update their website often.i have ordered atleast a third of all my titles from them.the website itself is not pretty to look at but i have seen worse.
    by the way i have no clue about your question on the civil war title just thought i would put out a good word for them![​IMG]