Confused about DirecTV Sony units

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dougjef, Mar 29, 2001.

1. Dougjef

Dougjef Auditioning

Hi everyone, I am considering purchasing a DirecTV setup and have been very happy with Sony products in the past.
    Basically I want one receiver to start with, Dual LNB WITH Dolby Digital. However the more I read the more I'm confused.
    Some say that 4th generation models are the best because the channel change and menu's are faster. Is this true? Also people say that 4th gen boxes receive #900 channels which I take is good but would like more explanation. Apparently these are local channels. I would like to get East/West locals if possible but would also like to get my Local (Seattle) stations as well.
    What are the best models to get in the Sony line? I've heard A55, A50, A4, A3...I'm so confused. Also where is a good reputable dealer to buy these from? I would like a new unit but would consider used if a prior model is the best to get. Any help would be greatly appreciated or point me to some sites where I can read more. Thank you!

2. Dougjef

Dougjef Auditioning

Oh ya, a UHF remote would be great too! and

3. HalS

HalS Stunt Coordinator

4. Lisa Menin

Lisa Menin Agent

Doug: I have been investigating this myself since I need to buy a Sony system to upgrade my parents' DirectTV setup. There have been numerous posts on the AVS Forum about audio problems with the A55 receiver. If you do a search there, you will find a few long threads. As a result, I am currently focusing in on the B55 since it doesn't seem to have the same issues.
    Lisa