What's new

Confused about different audio/video sources (1 Viewer)

matt bee

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, bear with my ignorance for a bit.

Tell me if I am correct here:

When running various video sources through a reciever, you have to keep them all the same connection type, correct? (i.e. My tv only has S Video so my DVD player and satellite connections need to be S Video as well, I cannot use component Video to connect the DVD to the reciever.) Since my VCR has only a composite connection, I'll need to run it directly to the TV, right?

What about the audio connections? I have no idea how these work. My DVD player has an optical out, my DirecTV reciever has an optical out. The reciever only has 2 optical in ports. If I were to get another component with digital outs, could I use a coaxial connection?

I'm sure all this will make much more sense once I get all my equipment home and can look things over, but I'm having a har time visualizing the connections in my mind. Of course since my first leap into Home Theater (the audio portion anyway) is only a couple short weeks away, this is ALL I can think about.

I dunno how you folks can control yourselves. Of course looking over some of your HT setups and DVD collections, obviously many of you can't.

Thanks,

~Matt

matt bee

Stunt Coordinator
Michael,
Thanks for the response.
Yes, the TV does have S video as well as composite video outputs. I should have thought out my wording more carefully. In my head I was saying, S Video, but no Component video. Sorry for the mixup.
I think I have it straight now. Thanks again.
~Matt ;)

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Matt,
A suggestion, if you'd like to make life a little easier?
You can pick up Composite / S-Video adapters that allow you to mix/match as necessary between the two. This would allow you to run a single connection to your TV set, and take all S-Video into the receiver, even for composite video only sources.
Here is a link to one such product:
Composite out to S-Video in Adapter
They run about US$30/each, and remember that convenience (a single cable type from receiver to monitor) comes at a slight price ;)
Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks