What's new

Confused about component video switching (1 Viewer)

Pam_S

Auditioning
I just purchased JBL speakers & I have a HDTV,Panasonic RP82 progressive scan DVD & VCR. I've been trying to decide what receiver to purchase. After MUCH reading here on the forum I'm rather confused about one thing. I read that if you have HDTV & progressive scan DVD that you MUST have a receiver with component video switching. Is this true? BTW, I will be connecting the DVD & VCR to the TV, not to the receiver. Any clarification is appreciated!

DanielN

Stunt Coordinator
You do not need component switching unless you are routing your HDTV signal through the receiver.

Pam_S

Auditioning
So I guess I don't need to be concerned about the bandwidth either if I'm not routing the HDTV signal thru the receiver, correct?

Thank for the info!

StephenL

Second Unit
So I guess I don't need to be concerned about the bandwidth either if I'm not routing the HDTV signal thru the receiver, correct?
Correct.

I use my receiver's component video switching to select DVD and HDTV sources because my projector has only one component video input. There's also the advantage of switching audio and video at the same time.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I read that if you have HDTV & progressive scan DVD that you MUST have a receiver with component video switching. Is this true?
It depends on your TV. For example, mine has two sets of component inputs, one for HD and one for progressive scan. So right now, I don't need a receiver with component video switching. If I were to add one more source that required a component connection, I'd need it. For now, I can manage with direct connections between the TV and my p/s DVD player and HD box, which I much prefer.

M.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Pam. It is a bit of a confusing issue.

Connecting straight to the TV is recommended, but you are going to have a problem.

Lets say you have connected the video straight to the TV, but run the audio through your receiver. (Thats why you have a receiver, right?)

When you want to switch between sources, you must:

- Grab the TV remote and change it's input to see the VIDEO

but..the audio is still stuck on the previous source. So you must:

- Grab the receiver remote and change it's input so the AUDIO source matches the VIDEO source.

Do you see? To switch sources you have to keep 2 different things in sync. After a few weeks of doing the 'remote juggle', you will start to drool over a programmable remote that lets you do several things with a single button push.

The "One for All Cinema 7" universal remote has 4 programmable buttons. Make one your "VCR" button that flips both the TV and receiver to the VCR source, and another the DVD source that flips everything to the DVD source. For about $25 it's a great value.

Good Luck.

Pam_S

Auditioning
Thanks for everyone's input. That remote sounds like a good idea Bob.

I was considering the Denon 1603 or 1803. Although the 1803 would probably be overkill since I'm just going with a 5.1 set-up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks