Confused about calibration

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Paul Slund, Sep 16, 2003.

1. Paul Slund

Paul Slund Extra

I just recently took possession of my new Toshiba 57HX83, which I'm told is Toshiba's top of the line model. I love the TV, looks really good with DVD, but Satellite (and VHS...please don't laugh:b)looks, well, to be honest, like it's been stretched, even in 4:3 mode. It reminds of when you stretch an mpeg on a PC...the picture looks weird (as opposed to merely out of focus).

I've been reading about AVIA and Video essentials calibration disc, but I'm getting the distinct impression that this involves actually opening up my TV, which I'm loath to do. I'm not even sure that this is the problem. I do have a service plan and am going to call them to come and look and hopefully fix, but I just want to be prepared incase this isn't the fix.

I'm using Bell ExpressVue with S-video. From some of the threads I've read, this picture should be crystal clear. I'm actually a little disappointed that the TV doesn't look good out of the box..

Any thoughts? Thanks everyone.

2. Douglas Kinne

Douglas Kinne Auditioning

Congrats on the new display!

Avia or VE do not require you to "open up the set". As a matter of fact, you can adjust many parameters from the menus listed in the owners manual. Have fun with these controls with one dab of caution, If you are going to watch a lot of 4:3 images please turn the "picture" or Contrast down from the factory setting. I also advise (even though the images will be "stretched" even further) to utilize the wide screen format for viewing 4:3 images.

As to the picture not being as clear as you hoped.... you are in effect "blowing up" a picture that is being transmitted to you for reception on no larger that a 19" TV!

As soon as HDTV is broadcast by whatever means to you, the picture will be stunning. DVDs should look really good right now though and you did not mention that in your post. Are you having difficulty with them as well?

Good Viewing

Doug

3. Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton Ambassador

Jason Charlton
    Few TV's look good "out of the box" - factory presets are almost universally horrendously bad for your set. The Avia disc will walk you through correct video settings, using the onscreen menus (picture, brightness, tint, etc.) Your geometry problem, however, is likely beyond the scope of Avia (I could be wrong, though).

All TV's have a certain amount of overscan - image that extends beyond the edges of the viewable screen. Typically, the amount of overscan is in the neighborhood of 5%. It's possible your overscan is higher in one direction than the other, causing the stretching. This can be adjusted but is typically done through your TV's service menu. Fiddling with settings via the service menu can be tricky - if you're not careful, you can really screw up your geometry a lot worse than it was when you started. Do a search for "Service menu" and you can find out how to access the settings on your particular set. If you're uncomfortable doing this, consider getting your set ISF calibrated - a qualified technician will set your set up and make it look as good as it possibly can. Check out Gregg Loewen's ISF Video Calibrations thread for more info.

Good luck.

-Jason

4. Paul Slund

Paul Slund Extra

I guess I was a little confused about the self-calibration..the threads I've read on ISF calibration seem to indicate the set is opened up (to adjust the guns?). I've tinkered a lot with the settings, got the convergence fixed up (which did make a difference). I'm comparing my set in 4:3 to a friend's 5-6 year old 50" 4:3 (non-HDTV) Sony...his reception looks really good without any blurring so I expected the same out of my new set.

Doug, you are right in that DVD's look really good...no distortion at all. I do view 4:3 in one of the Theatre modes to avoid burn-in (that was a surprise too...).

I did get a service plan when I bought the set...maybe I'll call them and have them tinker with it. They are supposed to be the "experts" also..

Thanks for the advice, guys.

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

ISF calibration is performed by certified professionals, a much, much more elaborate and involved process than simply adjusting picture controls via the user menus.

6. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    And most likely, the "experts" on your service plan won't do any better than you can at fine-tuning the TV, if you're handy at all.

_Man_