What's new

Confused about aspect ratios (1 Viewer)

JesseA

Agent
I have a 27" sony wega that does 16:9 sqeeze mode. I use my xbox as my DVD player. To correctly display 16:9 mode what aspect should I have my xbox set at?

JesseA

Agent
Hmm.. the video settings my xbox has is normal, letterbox, and widescreen. Which one of those equates to 16:9

JesseA

Agent
One last question. I have the xbox set to widescreen now but it seems like setting the 16:9 mode on my TV sqeezes the screen more on some movies then others.

I'm kind of knew at this but why in one movie say Ofice Space having it in widescreen mode equals black bars on the top and the bottom. When putting this movie in 16:9 mode it shrinks even more and in the addition of blackbars their are ghrey bars.

On the other hand putting the movie American History X in widescreen equals no black bars on top or bottom but a slightly what appears virtacly stretched screen. Putting this into 16:9 mode puts one set of black bars on the top of the bottom of the screen and makes it look great but it shrinks much less then it would on the other movie.

The thing that really confuses me is that both of the movies are in the 1.85:1 aspect ratio.

Am i missing something here or what?

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Jesse:

It sounds like Office Space is nonanamorphic and American History X is anamorphic. That would account for the difference.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
>>Is it recommended to only run 16:9 on anamorphic dvds?
With both 16:9 and 4:3 modes on your TV, leave the player in wide (16:9) mode for all dvds. Then select the mode on the TV that looks best.
On a 4:3 TV that would be 16:9 for anamorphic, 4:3 for others.
On a 16:9 TV that would be "full" for anamorphic, "zoom" for letterbox non-anamorphic of 1.78:1 and greater, and "4:3" for full frame up to 1.66:1 programs.
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks