Confused About A LFE Cross-over Setting On A DA4ES

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Matt Heebner, Sep 12, 2003.

1. Matt Heebner

Matt Heebner Stunt Coordinator

On the on screen menu under "Setup" I have my fronts crossing over at 60hz, etc, but on the LFE HIGH CUT page, what would the best setting be ? I have it set to 80Hz, but I guess I need to to know what exactly a LFE HIGH CUT is, especially if I am setting the crossovers on the speakers at 60Hz.

Any advice?
    Matt

2. Zack_R

Zack_R Stunt Coordinator

On the 4ES the LFE cut is independent of the crossover settings and pertains only to the Low Frequency Effect for Digitally encoded sources. The Std. setting (120Hz) is suppose to be the upper limits for the LFE signal, although the 4ES will let you increase it to 200 Hz.

LFE is only sent to your sub. For maximum LFE effect set the frequency for Std. I set mine for 80Hz becasuse I don't want there to be any chance of localizing the sub due to a high SPL sound in the 100Hz and above region.

If you have Avia you can test out the LFE cut effects on the dedicated LFE track. The 4ES actually seems to reduce the signal above the cut rather than eliminate it altogether as I can hear the signal being suppressed. I'm guessing it's around a 20db or so mute though I haven't measured it.