Conflicting GODFATHER box set prices

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Casey Neutron, Sep 1, 2001.

1. Casey Neutron

Casey Neutron Stunt Coordinator

So... How much is this thing gonna cost?
    Amazon lists it at $105.98; DVDPlanet lists it at $99.95; the new issue of Entertainment Weekly (9/7) says it's $74.95. I'm hoping for the latter, obviously. Anybody know the real deal?

2. Garry I

Garry I Stunt Coordinator

3. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I believe that, instead of going with an MSRP (Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price) on the Godfather box set, they are going with a MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) instead.
    Basically, this means that, instead of telling the retailer what is the maximum amount they ought to be selling it for, the studio is telling them what the minimum amount is that they can sell it for.
    That's a highly oversimplified explanation, but it will do.
    Of course, with an MSRP retailers are always free to charge more at the risk of looking foolish. By the same token, retailers are free to charge less than the MAP, as long as they don't advertise the actuall lower price. That's by contractual agreement. Which is why you end up seeing a lot of Best Buy ads for new releases that won't give a specific dollar amount; it just says "Special Low Price" or "Unbeatable Price" or something like that.
    So, if I recall correctly and the Godfather box set is a MAP rather than an MSRP, then the answer to your question of "What's the Real Deal?" is answered by "All of them". [​IMG] As always, just buy it at the best price you can.
    For me, I'm certain Best Buy will have a great price on it come the day of release. If not, then it might go on my Christmas list!
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    Widescreen is Family Fun!
    [​IMG]
    [Edited last by David Lambert on September 01, 2001 at 05:19 AM]

4. Quint van der Vaart

Quint van der Vaart Second Unit

I have ordered it from ABsound in Canada and it will cost
    me around 61.22 USD excl.shipping.
    I can't wait to have this box-set in my hands.

5. Kim Donald

Kim Donald Stunt Coordinator

Kim Donald Houde-Martens
    I am down to $57 with shipping at Amazon $10 online coupon plus $10 from Vividence and I hope I get at least one more Evaluation survey from Vividence to drop the price another $10-15 more before it ships.
    kd

6. Kirk Tsai

Kirk Tsai Screenwriter

David, your informations if very helpful. Do you know what the MAP is?

7. David Lambert

8. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

I thought that MAP requirement was struck down by some court - something about price-fixing, even though the item could be sold for less (not certain that this was the reason).
    ------------------
    They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
    They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
    - Napoleon XIV

9. David Lambert

Alan, I never heard about that. And MAPs still happen all the time, for DVD's, Software, videogames, and all sorts of things. Maybe it was specific to a certain state?
    By the way, do I know your name from somewhere? Were you by chance ever on Compuserve's comics forum? Where do I know your name from?
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    Widescreen is Family Fun!
    [​IMG]

10. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

MAP vs Minimum SALE price are much different (for instance, check out what Onecall.com does fairly often-- you have to go through some strange, but simple, hoops to get a price, because they can't 'advertise' what they're selling it for, and still be an authorized dealer).
    Can sell things for whatever you want... but you can't undercut prices a ton (I imagine to avoid things like: 'The GF Trilogy, $29.99 -- supplies are limited!' So, they place orders one copy, so they're not false advertising, and generates a bunch of traffic to their site/store, which isn't good for other stores, consumers, or Paramount!)