What's new

Confirmed - UK price drop on the XBox (1 Viewer)

paul h

Supporting Actor
Reaction to the Gamecube sales spiking i suspect tho that was only caused by Argos and Dixons selling em off. Works out pretty much the same deal anyway as previously for £159 you got it bundled with the JSRF/SegaGT games.

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
This article explains the motivation for the price cut.

Excerpts:

Microsoft Corp. on Thursday slashed the price of its Xbox video game console by 20 percent in Europe as analysts warned that the company was in danger of missing its shipment target for the fiscal year.

Microsoft and Nintendo have been battling neck and neck for the No. 2 position across Europe, a fast-growing market. Analysts said Microsoft's decision to cut the price of the Xbox in Europe underscored the competitive pressures facing both game box makers...

But Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter told Reuters on Thursday that based on his calculations of sales and estimates of retail inventory, Microsoft will end up shipping about 7.6 million Xbox units by the end of June, short of the company's 9 million-unit forecast. "I'd say even with Microsoft fudge numbers you can get to 8 million. You can't get to 9 million. You just can't get there," Pachter said. "The question one has to ask is: are they more interested in making money or are they more interested in saving face? With any rational company, one should assume they're interested in making money. With Microsoft, I'm not sure."

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Because outside of our European members, noone gives too hoots about Europe? :-/

Users who are viewing this thread