What's new

Confirmed! Both versions of E.T on DVD!!! (1 Viewer)

Doug Pyle

Second Unit
Real Name
Doug
I do support the right of the artist to revise his/her own artwork, and have no problem with either Spielberg or Lucas keeping involved with their films over time. (And ethically, a studio/owner has no artistic rights, but a responsibility NOT to tinker with an artists work).
Having said that, I think that the announcement about releasing both versions is fantastic. Not every artistic revision is an improvement, and releasing both does provide insights into the work that releasing only one or the other could not do.
I hope the announcement means what it seems to mean. I'd like other films released on DVD this way as well. Pleasing everyone is not always a vice.
------------------
  • May you be happy and well!

Duncan Harvey

Stunt Coordinator
If its the original film (with the original dialogue) then its good news, but there will be huge potential for customer confusion if Universal decide to release it in pan and scan. I would have thought that this would originally have been slated as two 2 disc editions (one containing the film, the other containing extras) - ie one pan and scan and one OAR. This will now have to go up to three discs.
One solution might be to drop the third disc from the pan and scan set - after all if you're happy with p/s then you probably dont care about the changes to the film.
Anyone know if the original sound is being used, or will the dts track be recreated as with Jaws?
Personally I wont be buying it as its the sort of film which was fine when I was 9 years old but frankly its dripping in cheap sentiment and isnt to my tastes now. I have a PAL laserdisc which I picked up very cheaply a few years ago, so if the (unlikely) need to watch it comes up I know where to go.
But as an undoubted landmark film, it deserves to be out on DVD.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Well, the article did mention how people were concerned about the original film no longer being available. Perhaps the outcry encouraged them to alter their plans.
EXACTLY.
If we take a little time to get "up in arms" over a concern before a final business decision is made, perhaps there would be less to complain about later.
There had not yet been a public commitment yet from Amblin' either way...but we let them know where we stood. This had to help the decision-making process.
George Lucas, on the other hand, has stated what his decision is. The outcry that we want the *original* version of Star Wars on DVD seems to be going unheeded. He wants to stick to his guns, of course...that's just human. The best way for him to change his mind now is a public acknowledgement that they made a bad decision. Not easy for anyone to admit. They can make it subtle, of course, but there's no way now to completely mitigate the upset that's gone on before. Everyone loses, in a way.
His buddy Steven listened to the public and gave 'em what they wanted. Everyone is happy. A world of difference.
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
TV-DVD.jpg

MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
I hope both versions are on the same disc, because I'm kinda curious about the new version, even though I probably won't pay extra to see it...
------------------
"This is not a drill. This is the apocolypse!"
Link Removed

Anthony_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony
The fact that both versions of the movie will be on the DVD has been re-affirmed on today's update at DVDFILE.com. My question... does anyone know of an address for UNIVERSAL video so that I may send a kudos email?

Anthony_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony
And further proof that A.T. needs an online dictionary. Being aware it was a paraphrase...I deliberately chose the term "re-affirmed" and still still used it incorrectly. Thanks DanR. Anybody got that address ...anybody?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
By the way, the day before USA Today published that article, I turned on the channel that "Entertainment Tonight" broadcasts on locally, just as that show was about to go off. They had mentioned something about ET (the film) and then, over the closing credits, showed some of the "new enhanced scenes" from the rerelease. I was upset that ET was pushing a redone ET, as it were.
tongue.gif

But now, all is better. :)
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
TV-DVD.jpg

MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!

Scott Barnhart

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
There was an interesting article in today's Seattle Times that gave some info about this - giving some of Speilberg's thoughts and also confirming that the WTC towers would be left in A.I. :
Here is the article.
------------------
Scott Barnhart
[email protected]

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
That last article says nothing about the original coming out on DVD.
I'm getting worried again. I'm fearing that the "original" will still ax the "terrorist" line and the guns.
------------------
RainHTFpic.jpg

"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon
Any smokers who want to accept the challenge of joining me in quitting? If so, click here

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
From the linked article:
However, the decision to remove the terrorist line, which was spoken off camera, was made after Sept. 11.
I thought the terrorist line had never been on home video. Damn I'm confused.
Rain is right. Considering the fact that the entire focus of the article is the changes being made to E.T., it's almost incomprehensible that dual versions being released wouldn't be mentioned.
patriot.gif

------------------
God Bless America

Charles M

Stunt Coordinator
Nice to hear. It's about time.
------------------
The only dumb question is the one you never ask....

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I'm fearing that the "original" will still ax the "terrorist" line and the guns.

Hardly anyone seems to have known that the line was taken out several years ago, and nobody seemed to care. Now all of a sudden it's a big uproar about it.
Big deal.
/Mike

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
quote: Big deal.[/quote]
Yes, it is.
No "terrorist" line, no guns, NO SALE.
(By the way, I'm a pacifist...it's the principle of the thing.)
I searched the web, including the USA Today site, and could find no indication that the original version is planned for DVD.
Methinks we are celebrating too soon.
frown.gif

[Edited last by Rain on November 02, 2001 at 02:40 PM]

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I searched the web, including the USA Today site, and could find no indication that the original version is planned for DVD.
The quote as presented in the first post of this thread was on this page yesterday. I saw it myself. Unfortunately, they apparently don't archive this particular section. But, it was there, and Kennedy's comments seem to directly conflict with what she says in the Seattle Times piece. Seems to me they are feeling the heat and responding accordingly. Keep their feet to it, people!

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
From Dark Horizons:
. In other news, Universal has confirmed next Summer's DVD release of the upcoming "E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial" re-release will feature the ability to watch either the original 1982 cut of the film or the new look 20th anniversary re-release (hopefully George Lucas will do a similar thing when/if the original "Star Wars" trilogy hits DVD).
As usual, Dark Horizons is a rumor site and should be taken with a grain of salt. Obviously, Kathleen Kennedy is about as close to Spielberg as you can get, so her word is probably gold. But, as I noted above, she seemed to be saying the opposite to the Seattle Times (though, she wasn't referring to the DVD in that piece). Having the releasing studio's confirmation makes me relax a bit.

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
It's a rumor site, but Garth is pretty good about sorting out the really rumor stuff from the probably true stuff.
I hope what he writes is accurate, and yays to Speilberg and Co. for knowing what's right.
------------------
"This is not a drill. This is the apocolypse!"
Link Removed

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I myself bought the USA Today issue that has the blurb in it. It definately says that, per Kennedy, the DVD will contain the original and remake versions of it.
As far as the terrorist line goes...I'm not prepared to be that anal about it, guys. Really.
wink.gif

------------------
DAVE/Memphis
TV-DVD.jpg

MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!
Do you like TV on DVD? Then check THIS out!
..... http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/ .....
[Edited last by David Lambert on November 04, 2001 at 06:45 AM]

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
That’s great news! The sanity has returned! Thank you Steven Spielberg for understanding how important it is to have the original version. Not only that, but also you have saved me two weeks time worth of encoding and transferring my LD to DVD!
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks