What's new

Confirmed! Both versions of E.T on DVD!!! (1 Viewer)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Robert,
Your analysis of words is correct. However, there are many current "original" titles on DVD which are altered. If the gun scene is left in the "original" E.T. version DVD, I will be very surprised, given Speilberg's belief about this.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
Wow. I must say that I'm very surprised (pleasantly so, though) about this. My hat is off to Speilberg & Co. for giving me the E.T. that I know and love.
Very cool, indeed.
Link Removed

[Edited last by Mark Bendiksen on November 01, 2001 at 11:02 AM]

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
In other words, Dave, you're saying that the phrase "original 1982 version" is a lie that will be excused the same way that another lie was excused by saying "it depends on what the meaning of is is".

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
This is the best news I have heard in a long time. They relaized they can please everybody and are doing so. Bravo.
I take it to mean that both versions will be in the same release.
------------------
My DVD's
If a movie is not available in OAR, than it might as well not be available at all.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Exactly, Robert. Such is the case with the philosophy of Postmodernism.
eek.gif

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
Just like Dave and me both pointed out, the word original has been used before even when the original still had some small changes. Besides, it wouldn't be the first time the press got something wrong.
I truly hope the original version will be truly that of course, no PC changes.
------------------
Click here if you want to see Looney Tunes on DVD!
"You're 10 seconds away from the most embarrassing moment of your life!"
Click here to admit you want to see Ford Fairlane on DVD!
DVD List Link Removed

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
They're even BIGGER film snobs than us...
Ahem. Please speak for yourself.
biggrin.gif

I'm so glad I can stop hating Steven Speilberg now. Happy news indeed!
alien.gif

------------------
RainHTFpic.jpg

"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon
Any smokers who want to accept the challenge of joining me in quitting? If so, click here

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
NO SALE for me has now transformed to INSTANT SALE! This really is wonderful news.
biggrin.gif

------------------
The Dark Tower
jamaris1.jpg

Fearless Vampire Killers (1967)?

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Excellent, though I am assuming the 82 version will still lack the "terrorist" line. Regardless of whether it retains that original line or not, if this goes ahead, GREAT and I hope they use good source material for an anamorphic transfer for the original.
Dan (UK)

Andy_S

Second Unit
I hope they use an excellent print for the original also. My fear is that the new edit version will be totally clean and reference material and the original will be an old scratchy print.
------------------
Home Theater Pics

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
This is very good news. Whether or not the final product will actually be what USA Today reported is something for future discussion (fretting). What we do have right now is a good initial indication that we may actually get what we want: the original version of E.T.
And yes, I do hope this title does well critically and commercially, thus convincing George Lucas to follow in Spielberg's footsteps.

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor
I also recall that Willy Wonka was supposed to contain a WS and a P&Suck version and we all know how that turned out
wink.gif
. I'll believe it when the reviews roll in. Cheers.
------------------
I didnt play Dungeons and Dragons all those years and not learn something about courage.
--Bernie Faulkner

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Andy_S, this is Speilberg were talking about here, I am not worried in the least about how this dvd will look, BOTH versions will be beutiful.
------------------
God bless the USA and the men and women of our military and their families!

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
quote: They're even BIGGER film snobs than us...
Ahem. Please speak for yourself. [/quote]
You'll notice I followed that with "at least some of us..."
I'm hoping that the original version is the version we all want. The original 1982 theatrical cut. I guess we won't know until we see the disc.
------------------
"This is not a drill. This is the apocolypse!"
Link Removed
[Edited last by Nate Anderson on November 01, 2001 at 12:40 PM]

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
This is terrific news, and it's all I ever wanted. Tinker with the movie all you want, but just let us have the original as well. I love this movie and will buy the original version the second it hits the shelves.
I can't say I'll buy the updated version as well, but I guess I'll have to see once they come out. It's different with Star Wars: I can say for sure that Lucas only stands to gain by releasing both original and special editions. I would buy both of those.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks