What's new

Confirmed; $199 Xbox. (1 Viewer)

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
Finally.
I don't care that I spent 100 dollars more, as I have had mine since Christmas.. but this will mean more sales and thus more third party support.
MORE GAMES! :emoji_thumbsup:

Andre F

Screenwriter
I'm glad I waited. I've been able to enjoy my PS2 and GCN for a while now. Now I can add the XBox and enjoy all systems. For me this is very good news. One question...Why are they lowering the price? Is it because of lower than expected sales? I'd hate to invest in a system that will die a short death...

-Andre F

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
Andre,

Just to boost sales, I would suppose. More people will buy a console at $199 than at $299. Heck, I thought the X-Box was a bargain at $299 considering the hardware specs (great graphics, DD-5.1 in-game, hard drive, ethernet)...

I wouldn't worry about the X-Box leaving the market... Microsoft is in it to fight it out... They have enough great games to have staying power too.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
On GameSpot, there was a story about how a circular from Wal-Mart was leaked that showed the X-Box at $199.95. It was supposed to be released regularly on the 29th I think.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
Me being a Nintendo supporter, I didn't read all the above messages. I hope this hasn't been posted. But isn't it a shame that Microsoft isn't doing here in American what they're doing in the UK and Austrailia? From news reports I remember reading, when they dropped the prices there, anyone who picked one up for the higher price was given 2 MS first party games, and a MS first party controller.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
The reason they gave that stuff away, Kyle, is because the price drop was the equivalent of $150 within around six weeks of the XBox launch in those countries. Do you really think Microsoft should 'repay' you $100 six months after its launch?

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I hope PS2 matches this drop. I think the cube will drop to $129. Let the bloodbath begin. I might pick up a PS2 at $199, but I still am not compelled to go X-box.

Steve Clark

Second Unit
Me being a Nintendo supporter, I didn't read all the above messages. I hope this hasn't been posted. But isn't it a shame that Microsoft isn't doing here in American what they're doing in the UK and Austrailia?
Being a Nintendo supporter, and should I assume MS basher :), why do you care since it does not affect you? Will you speak unkindly of Nintendo if they drop the console price here shortly and do not give some kind of price break to earlier adopters? Besides, Europe and the U.S. are different markets. In addition, the XBox is doing very well here in the U.S. unlike Europe. As a Nintendo supporter, you should be more concerned about the price war that is about to be launched. Many MS critics were worried about this prior to the XBox launch because of MS's deep pockets and willingness to engage in a protracted price war to win market share over the long haul.

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I once purchased the SEGA CD system for the Genesis for $300.00 !!
I'm still bummed about that....and rightfully so!
I paid $300.00 for my X-Box and I probably should not have purchased it. I just can't find any games that I really like. I have not played my XBOX during the past 2 months. And I have only owned it for 4 months!
I still think people should pick this up...and for $200 it's almost a no-brainer!~
I just hope some better titles start flowing soon...maybe Madden 2003 will get me playing again.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I'm so glad I just support quality software products (and by extension, which ever systems in that generation happen to run them) and do not consider myself a 'supporter' of any hardware company.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
This is floating around IRC.
http://www.teamxbox.com/images/dailyposts/xboxsale.jpg
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks