Configuring system

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan Leemhuis, Nov 22, 2002.

1. Ryan Leemhuis

Ryan Leemhuis Second Unit

I have been messing around with the levels of my speakers by ear(I know....GASP!!!) and I have paid particular attention to the subwoofer. I like the big bass it is capable of providing. However, I have found that in DVD's such as SW:episode 2 the bass is pushed during certain scenes(see 2 seconds in with large naboo ship) and this causes my sub to over modulate(is that the right word? It sounds like a gurgle when my sub is pushed too far.) When I listen to over DVD's the sub can be pushed much farther because they do not have these type of scenes. Is there anything I can do besides constantly changing the settings? Or am I forever stuck?

System Kenwood HTB-505

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    It is almost impossible to set your sub's level 100% correct by ear.

Unfortunately, some movies just have more bass than others, so you may have to just adjust to taste each time or get a more powerful sub. If the sub is having trouble with loud passages, it is likely that you have it too loud or it is underpowered for the volume you are looking for.

3. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Ryan can I ask what you have your sub gain-volume set at on the back of your sub and what do you have your SW gain-volume set at on your receiver? On a scene like you mention you will not be able to push your sub. I have experience with the sub you speak of. O-- and where do you have your sub placed?

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Your sub is bottoming out due to the bass scenes in TPM that extend below 25Hz at high amplitudes. A few other ones will no doubt give your sub trouble because it probably does not have high pass filter to filter out the very low bass that these movies produce and cannot handle. Toy Story 2, Titan AE, Fellowship Of The Ring, are 3 that are like this also. If you propely calibrate this may help (a little).

5. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

In Pearl Harbor when the Arizona explodes it will bottom out every time unless you really cut it back. Very demanding scene. I will pull it out of the closet this weekend and calibrate for the fun of it and see just what a guy can get away with on this sub? Circumstances will vary because we have different rooms and amps.

6. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Well Ryan I gave the sub you speak of a little run-through and here is what I came up with. I corner loaded it right next to my seating the couch. This puts me 3ft from the sub. I calibrated it +2db which puts the gain on the sub at about 1/3 up the scale. On the flyby scene in SW-II I register 98-99db at -15 and it handled it much better than what I expected. I then tried it at +4db sub calibration and it registered 102db. For this sub I was impressed. Then I went back to +2db and went a little further into the movie. When the ship lands right before the big explosion I noticed very little sub output. It's below what the sub can produce and its tuning. This went on through the rest of the movie. When the ship explodes it bottoms out at -15 to -23. I did not try bellow -23. I then channel skipped through the rest of the movie and really noticed how little bass this sub can actually play. If it is 30 Hz? on up it will play it but if there is a big surge like the exploding ship it will bottom it out every time. The 505 is a great HTiB but the sub is usually the first thing to be upgraded. You would notice a huge difference. I would not think of it as being forever stuck. Just in kind of a rut until you upgrade your sub. WM-40 $135 to much?

7. Ryan Leemhuis

Ryan Leemhuis Second Unit

Wow Thanks for the test. I wasn't able to understand everything you said but I got most of it. Is the WM-40 the one that comes with the SONY HTIB?

8. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

I am afraid it is not Ryan. The 20 comes with there HTiB's. I did have the Sony WM-40 at one time to but sold it to a friend. I wish I would have kept it now just for fun. I started out with the Kenwood 504 and teamed the Sony WM-40 with it. You would be much happier with it. 12" driver and 120 watts. It has it's limitations but will far out-do the Kenwood sub. There is this other sub I have only herd talk of that sounds like a good budget buy from Parts-express I think. It was like a $100. Chris who hangs out in the DIY section seemed very impressed with it. I could track it down if you are interested and can't find it. I think it is called a DLS? The Sony can be had for like $135 to your door from Sony-com. You would have to jump through a few hoops for that price but it would be no biggie and worth the savings?