What's new

Configuring my new Dahlquists... (1 Viewer)

RobCole

Grip
I just bought a new combo from Marc at the audioshop and have been very happy so far. Dahlquist QX10 fronts, 20R surrounds and a 60C center. I'm powering it with a Denon 3802 and a Velodyne CT-120 sub, all of which have been keeping me happy so far. In order to get the most out of my setup, like everyone here suggests, though, I'm running everything through a configuration disc, and I've got some questions. Here's what I've done so far:

Hit the "test tone" button on the remote. Set each speaker so that when playing that, it was at 75db according to the Radioshack SPL meter I have (the digital one, borrowed from my uncle).

FL -2db
FR -2db
C -5db
SL -2db
SR -2db
SW -3db

That came out at around 84db on the Avia test, and I reconfigured so now it all comes out at 85db.

Now I'm listening to the Sony promo at -10, and it sounds nice, but awfully quiet compared to what I'm used to. Normally I would expect the sound levels to be at this point around -20; have I just been adjusting my setup completely off?

For example, while I'm used to watching TV I'm used to watching at -35 or so; now I have to turn it up to -20 to make it sound acceptable. Should I just get used to the fact that I have to crank it up further now? :)

What do most of you watch TV and movies at?

thanks,
Rob

Philip A

Agent
Hello Rob,

Don't know if this is happening with you, but, my Yamaha has a -10db setting called Living Room (or something like that) in the speaker set up menu. Once I discovered that I was back to the spl's I'd been used to! I guess I'd inadverdantly selected it when running my set-up calibrations.

LOL,
Phil

Jason Co

Second Unit
Rob,
I guess I am a bit unclear as to what you did. If you use the test tones on the Denon 3802 the volume level doesn't matter on your main volume. The test tone on the Denon is set at 75db. I believe the Avia setup is 85 dbs. If you did what I think you did, don't bother comparing your internal test tones to the Avia setup. I used my internal test tones on my Denon then I used the Sound and Vision disk and found that the internal test tones were off on the low side about 3-4 db's compared to the disk. I think it's important to use the disk as opposed to internal because that is going to be your source material.

I would start from scratch using the Avia test tones. Make sure your SPL meter is in the sweet spot and if you can put it on a tripod at an angle. The other thing you need to make sure of is that all of your enhanced sound modes on the Denon are turned off (midnight mode, etc.) After you have recalibrated using this method let us know how it turns out.

Jason

RobCole

Grip
I redid the test after I posted this last night, and it seems configured now. What I'm guessing is that I had just completely misconfigured it (I finally read through the FAQ and a member's webpage here last night about how to properly configure), and now I've got it configured right.

What I was saying was this: I had been used to listening to TV, etc., at a level of around -35 to -40 on the amp; now with everything properly configured I'm listening at -25 to -30. What I'm guessing is that with my misconfiguration (I had all the channels set to +12db) I had just royally messed up the configuration. I tested it with the settings last night on Fargo, Jurassic Park, and a few CDs (as well as TV), and it sounds great. The bass sounds a bit quiet, but I haven't really tested it out yet. I'm going to watch FOTR tonight and check that out.

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.