Configuring 5.1 Audio for Panasonic SA-HE100

Fidelio

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
Hello HT community,

I am experiencing a very frustrating problem while configuring my speakers for the Panasonic SA-HE100 receiver. I have configured the receiver for surround mode (speakers A on, speakers B off) and all connections are made. When I execute an audio test, I can not hear sound through the left and right channels. All other channels, center, surround-left, and surround-right, pass the test.

When I play a film, the same occurs. However, if I switch the receiver mode to stereo (that is, both speakers A and B are enabled), I can hear sound through the center, left, and right speakers. The surround-left and surround-right speakers are muted.

All the connections are functioning properly, but I can't figure out why 5-channel audio isn't working. I also tried to modify the volume level for the left and right speakers, but the receiver only gives me the option to modify the front, surround-left and surround right speakers; I assumed that front encompasses center, left and right. Modifying the front value has had no effect.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I'm sure this is a silly issue and that I neglected to push a button somewhere!

Steve

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It doesn't sound like a problem. Not sure what stereo has to do with A and B being on? In a straight 5.1 setup with nothing in another room, there should be no speakers connected to the B terminals. Usually, B is stereo only, full range, and I'm sure the reason the surround channels are muted is because having both A and B on could potentially overload the system, so it shuts the surrounds off.

Fidelio

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve

Thanks for the reply, John. As you suspected, I had the left and right speakers hooked up to the B terminals and all others to the A, thus explaining the behavior I described.

I didn't realize that the front-speaker A terminals have a completely different connector and location than the others. If I had paid attention to the speaker setup section of the manual, I probably would have noticed this!

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Druiz23