Configuration question

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by DavidTrent, Dec 31, 2004.

1. DavidTrent

DavidTrent Auditioning

I'm a Home Theatre newbie; just moved into my new home that I ran structured wiring in. Although I'm certainly learning as I go along I've hit one hurdle I can't seem to cross; I'd appreciate guidance that anyone could provide.

I have a Denon 2805 A/V receiver and Proficient speakers in the family room -- upgraded other components and TV TBD. I want to use take advantage of the receiver's zone2 capability to feed an A-Bus system for whole home audio that I'm wiring.

My problem is that I can't seem to get an audio signal out of the Denon zone2 preamp jacks. I've done a number of different tests to validate the problem isn't with the A-Bus main source input module; for example, I was able to feed an audio signal to the A-Bus system via another source just fine.

The one test I did that really stumped me is I set zone2 output on the receiver to DVD and used composite video and audio cables connected to the zone2 video output and zone2 preamp RCA interconnects to validate that I was generating a signal. I was able to get a video signal but couldn't get any audio. I even tried removing the digital coax cable from the DVD player and connecting using the analog audio to see if there was an issue with the type of audio input from the source. (I did validate that the TV could accept an audio signal by passing the DVD audio straight to it without going through the receiver!)

I'm going absolutely crazy with this! I've read the manual numerous times, changed every setting / wiring set in every combination that I could think of without any change. Any help would be tremendously appreciated! Thanks!

2. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

it will only pass input analog audio to zone2, no digi. i see you tried that, but have you set up and assigned zone2 properly for the analog inputs you used in the receiver and adjusted the zone2 volume, as well?

3. DavidTrent

DavidTrent Auditioning

Success! Thanks ScottCHI!

I tried hooking up just an old stereo to the A/V CD in using analog audio and made sure that there was no digital mapping for the CD player. Setting the zone2 volume output to either -40db or 0db made the magic happen.

My guess is that when I swapped out the digital for analog audio before that I didn't turn off the digital audio input from COAX-1 and that was enough to do it.

What I did -- at least for now -- was to use my digital coax audio out from the DVD to the A/V DVD in and use the analog audio out from the same DVD to the A/V CD in. Now while listening to digital audio from the family room using the HT system I'm also getting great analog audio piped into zone2 (set to CD, not DVD!) which feeds my a-bus and makes me a hero in the eyes of my wife =^)

Woo-hoo! Happy, happy new year!

4. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

yep. that's what most people do. good thing that players output the analog and digi at the same time, eh?

enjoy!