conection between HTPC and Home Cinema amplifier

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Jose Luis, Jul 13, 2003.

1. Jose Luis

Jose Luis Extra

I´d like to connect HTPC to a home cinema amplifier which has DD and DTS decoders, with an optical cable. Do I need a sound card ? . Is there any way to bring the decoded audio data ( by the software(Power DVD)) right to the amplifier? Thank you.

2. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

Unless your mobo supports it, you need a soundcard with optical spdif. Most are coax. I have an audigy2 platinum which has optical. It has a sticker price of $150 or so.

Most receivers have a coax input. With coax you can get a soundcard down around $100. The Audigy2 and the revolution 7 are two popular options.

Also, depending on the distance, you may want to consider coax as it is more durable than the fragile optical.

3. Dan Marchewka

Dan Marchewka Stunt Coordinator

Jose,
    Newegg.com has an A-Open AW850D digital sound card that has both a coax and optical digital out for $23. I bought it and it works great with my HT preamp. It passes both DTS and Dolby Digital.

Hope this helps.

Here is a link:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...tby=14&order=1

Adios,
    Dan

4. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

make sure the sound output is adequate. 96khz is optimum. 44 is barely adequate, anything else is poor. I'm not sure if digital out would be affected by this.