What's new

Cone excursion - Xmax - and Lspcad (1 Viewer)

Fred Seger

Stunt Coordinator
This is kinda of a combo question.
1) When you look at X-max specs are they always one-way?
2) When you look at cone-excursion results in Lspcad are they referring to the one way Xmax or total movement which is always greater than 2x-Xmax( I think)
Example
I'm modeling a 6.5" driver that has a 3.15mm Xmax according the spec. Do I need to keep the cone excursion under 3.15mm or 6.3 mm?
Thanks

Greg Monfort

Supporting Actor
>1) When you look at X-max specs are they always one-way?
====
Correct.
====
>2) When you look at cone-excursion results in Lspcad are they referring to the one way Xmax or total movement which is always greater than 2x-Xmax( I think)
====
It shows peak-peak, with no consideration for Xmax, Xsus, or Xmech. It's up to you to know the various limits and multiply them 2x to see whether the driver's in trouble or not.
====
>I'm modeling a 6.5" driver that has a 3.15mm Xmax according the spec. Do I need to keep the cone excursion under 3.15mm or 6.3 mm?
====
Yes, if Xmax is your personal limit, to keep distortion very low.
GM
------------------
Loud is beautiful, if it's clean

Fred Seger

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Greg for your reply.
I used to use WinISD to model woofers/speakers. I don't think most people know that WinISD has no consideration for cone excursion when it plots the output. It's VERY important to consider this when designing a subwoofer or speaker. LspCAD is much better in that respect I think.

Greg Monfort

Supporting Actor
>LspCAD is much better in that respect I think.
=====
My pleasure! :)
And evey other. WinISD is dangerous IMO due to this, and its errors.
I use BoxPlot 3.0 for quick comparisons, as it shows Vd limitations, and I've yet to catch it in a serious error.
GM
------------------
Loud is beautiful, if it's clean

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks