Concrete speaker stands - are they real?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jedd, Dec 23, 2002.

1. Jedd

Jedd Second Unit

Time has come to make a pair of speaker stands for my fronts, so as usual I started to look around for every possible solution.
    Saber saw and a drill - are the all instruments I have. And the very first idea which came to my head is to make these stands from concrete - I have plenty of it from the last basement fixes.
    Now, correct me if I'm wrong - concrete is very good sonicaly for the stands, the only issue it has is the weight. Here is a solution I'd like to implement to make it not so damn heavy:
    Materials: 12"x3' and 10"x3' quicktubes, 2'x2' mdf, some anchors and bolts, lightweight concrete, some black material/paint - everything should be well under $50
    Cut both tubes in a half, center 10" inside of 12", stick some anchors in the ground. Fill the space between 12" and 10" tubes with the concrete, stick some more anchors and let it dry. So effectively it will be two short concrete pipes (didn't see any for sale) with the bolt mounts.
    Wrap in the material, mount bottom mdf plate and fill with some sand to push the weight down. Mount the upper plate. Ready to use.
    12"-10"x18" pipe is pi(6^2-5^2)*18 = 622 cubic inches ~ 1/3 cubic foot, which should weigh about 25 lb each.
    I guess some birch can be used for the bottom plates instead of mdf, but the upper one should be done of mdf, right? Can the empty space inside of a concrete pipe somehow resonate?
    Any other comments?

2. JimPeitersen

JimPeitersen Second Unit

Sounds like an interesting project, but I think you would be doing much more work than is necassary. Just simplify your plan to use just the sand (or a steel-shot/sand mixture) in the small tubes. It should weigh enough to provide a solid base for the speakers. Do a search for speakers stands, and you will see multiple DIY approaches to your query.
    JP

3. Aaron_Smith

Aaron_Smith Stunt Coordinator

Any empty space can and will resonate; and the mass of the concrete is exactly what makes it effective as a speaker stand. If you are going to make one that's lighter you may as well consider using materials that are easier to work with.

4. Jedd

Jedd Second Unit

5. Rick Chaisse

Rick Chaisse Extra

I usually suggest that you place a piece of indoor/ outdoor carpet on the bottom of the speaker, and/ or the bottom of a wooden stand. I find that this works very well in isolating the resonance from transferring to the floor or shelf. Hope that helps.