What's new

Concrete floor: Bottom or Side-firing sub? (1 Viewer)

Len -
Good question. I have no experience with bottom-firing subs, but I do have a front-firing JBL PSW-D112. It has a 12 inch woofer and a 250 watt amp. My home theater is in my basement, which is thick concrete all around. Obviously, I have the room fixed up with drywall and carpeting...but, to partially answer you question...the sub shakes the room and the house above it. I have it in my front left corner, angled toward the sweet spot. It sits about 12 feet away.
So, a front-firing sub works fine. I would probably expect the same from a down-firing sub too.
Good luck!

Len Cheong

Second Unit
Darren,
Thanks. How long have you had your sub? I read about the PSW-D110 dying on people (Audioreview) after a year and a half.

John Desmond

Stunt Coordinator
There is really little difference in capability between the two. Many other factors are more important. The highly regarded REL, SVS, HSU and my own ACI Titan IIs are all downfiring. Remember, you're dealing with wavelengths that are up to 56 feet long!

Len -
John Desmond is right about the long wavelengths for these low-end signals. In fact, if I sit at the opposite end of my basement, about 30 feet away from the subwoofer, the bass impact is even more pronounced! Unfortunately, it's hard to see my 36" screen television!
As far as my JBL sub is concerned, I was not recommending it for you. I just wanted to identify what I was using in my basement. This model subwoofer is/was plagued by problems. I had to get the amplifier replaced after using it for only 4 months. Fortunately, it was under warranty. I have used it trouble-free for over two years since the repair. But, I still feel that it would be a high-risk investment.
Darren

Legairre

Supporting Actor
I have my hometheater in my finished basement. I have two PSWD112's (250 watt front firing subs) for the LFE and two PB10 (150 watt down firing subs) as line level surround subs. The LFE subs really shake the $hit out of the room and the whole house above. Both my front and rear subs seem to shake the room pretty well. The 250 watters are a hugh diferrence but they are also running of the LFE, so they get lower HZ than the surround subs. I guess I can't make a fair comparison, but I do like my front firing subs more.
I guess I've been lucky. I've had one PSWD112 since 1998 and the other since 1999. No problems yet.
------------------
"What do you mean its too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Radden Home Theater

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
If you want to read more about this topic do a search for it in the DIY/Advanced section.
If you just want a quick reference to what the general consensus of the discussions over there are though, here you go.
There is no difference between a front and downfiring sub. The driver, the enclosure alignment and the amp are soooo much more important.
------------------
Dustin
[email protected]
My Adire Tempest Sonosub

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks