Concrete Enclosure?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MichaelAngelo, Oct 23, 2002.

1. MichaelAngelo

MichaelAngelo Stunt Coordinator

Hello all. Does anyone have any experience using concrete for a sub enclosure? I am thinking of using concrete culvert, 24" diam, 4' tall (~12cu ft) to replace a large MDF box that is poorly braced. Comments, ideas please?

The driver is a 15 inch Kicker Solobaric that is currently seeing service as my HT sub.

2. MichaelAngelo

Or should I just stick to the Sonotube? Would there be any benefit to the concrete? I dont have to worry about WAF with this.

3. Will Orth

Will Orth Stunt Coordinator

Well i made a concrete enclosure back in 1990 and it was a mess, but if you do make one make it at least 2" thick-wire reinforced and add some internal damping material as the stuff I used back then was not to good and it did crack maybe a combo concreat + epoxy with a dnyamat interior would work real good i bet! post your results :=)

The Concrete mix-sand ratio is important also maybe you want to research that a bit.

Will

4. Mark_E_Smith

Mark_E_Smith Second Unit

Wouldnt have to worry about resonance [​IMG], but this thing would weigh a ton. Might be hard to get a tight seal on the end caps though. I dont think veneer would work well on concrete. I do have a concrete base Kenwood turn table. They used them because the resonace of the turntable base was below 20 Hz, worked very well at high spls. [​IMG]

5. MichaelAngelo

Thanks Will for the response.
    I was thinking of using concrete culvert, in a 24" dia, with 1.5 endcaps (1 layer MDF, 1 plywood) connected with 3/8 allthread. Is it just unnecessary overkill, because I priced the Sonotube today too, the places for each are next door to each other. I didn't check the culvert walls for thickness; but they support their own weight so they should be stout. Have to seal the endcaps to the tube tho; tar, silicone, RTV sealant, caulk, and I want to paint the inside with truck bedliner, to seal the porous concrete.

How did yours come out?

6. MichaelAngelo

Hi Mark. Thanks for responding. I have looked at others projects with Sonotube, and I thought I might make a fabric "sock" to cover the outside.
    Bare concrete would give that industrial look tho [​IMG]

7. Greg Monfort

Greg Monfort Supporting Actor

My first 'sonotube' speaker/sub was a concrete drain pipe I struggled with back in '68. [​IMG] Worked like a champ. The first time an architect saw/heard it a couple of years later, he asked why I'd bothered since the new treated cardboard poured concrete column moulding tubes would be just as strong for this application and a whole lot lighter, so it was Quikrete tubes till I quit building them. Still got two out in the shed from ~25yrs ago. Once I got a radial arm saw I've only built rectangular or triangular columns.
    GM

8. Miklsan K

Miklsan K Agent

Will, were you the guy that used to compete in IASCA with the concrete box? Was it a Thunderbird or Cougar?

9. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

If your speaking of typical precast concrete sewer pipe, it is mesh reinforced inside already. These have a bell on one end and a fitting that takes a rubber seal on the other to fit into the next bell. These things are heavy and require a concrete saw to cut them, though they are quite tough.
    So what concrete pipe are you speaking of exactly?
    The 24" typical concrete sewer pipe is big [​IMG] as you already know, (3-1/2"+ thick) and "depending on length" would weigh MEGGA lbs. Can't even imagin trying to get it in the house when finished with out it ending up in the basement weather you want it their or not.
    Their are other types of "concrete pipe" but at 24" dia, their all pretty damn heavy.

10. MichaelAngelo

Geoff- thats exactly what I had in mind. The weight is not a problem- here in SE Texas, most houses are built on concrete foundations. But after reading the responses, it may be too much overkill. I wouldn't cut it; checked and can get it in 4 ft and 6 ft lengths, ~12.5cu ft for 4' and 18 for 6', was gonna cap it with double or triple 3/4 mdf via allthread from cap to cap, seal with tar, silicone, or caulk.

But the Sonotube sounds like its free enough of resonance for what I need.

Hehe Jack I got an idea from roadside construction too. New plastic drain pipe was being laid here not too long ago on a main street. I was stuck in traffic looking at the pipe, it was black plastic about 1.25 inch thick. I pulled over, ended up knowing the foreman thru a friend, and he gave me a 1 foot section and a 2.5 foot section. The pipe is 24 inch dia. The 1 foot I capped with 1.5" pine ends, not the best but had it here, it holds a 12 inch square Solobaric, its pretty solid. I call it " the Cookie"

11. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

There are allot of new types of pipe out being used on gas jobs. The material is tight, tuff as hell, and light. Only the largest jobs, like waste plants, large dumps, GM plants, etc use it to transport methane gas usualy to burn off or to send from like the dump to the GM plant to use the gas to burn for fuel. It looks like some type of plastic but it's NOT.

New types of composit mixes make for a air tight pipe thats extremly tuff, It is fused together at the ends with a machine that cost a million dollars. Other type of plastic pipe get fused also but this stuff is the most incridiable stuff I've ever seen. The pipe was being used for only the second time (this was 3-years ago) as it was a brand new design and composit. It has to handel the envirorment, bending, and extreme pressure for it's entire life.

Polyethlstyrynepoxy or something like that. Finding 18" pipe is the trick as it is only used on the biggest of jobs, for their main line. I've been on one job useing it, the large stuff that is (18" dia ~ 5/8" thick wall), but did find out that its made up to 3ft in dia.
    This was in Detriot, at Pontiacs garbage waste dump.. It feed the gas made from decomposing garbage to the GM plant to burn as fuel.

This stuff is the ~{Tube DIY's}~ dream come true pipe. Smoothe as glass, easy to cut, tough as hell, air tight and light in weight. Special order product and you wont find it in your local pipe supply place and doubt they could even order it.

Makes Industrial Large PVC look like a joke.

Edit:
    Mike was posting at the same time I was and the pipe you speak of is very different from what im speaking of. Thats a typical plastic composit that used for gas lines all over the US and comes in a vast array of sizes.

The stuff you picked up is probley industrial PVC composit that they use for water. Usually green or black in color, sometimes smoothe and sometimes rippled. This is totally different.

12. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

[​IMG]
    You may want to peruse THIS PROJECT from Speakerbuilding.com.
    It's one of my favorites I show to friends who ask about speaker building.

13. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Double post....:b

14. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Well back to the concrete sewer pipe. How about an IB with the pipe outside! Thats if you don't mind cutting a hole in the side of your house.....[​IMG]
    If you rent, well guess thats probley out of the question.[​IMG]

15. Just use the Chimney as an IB [​IMG]

16. MichaelAngelo

Well, if I'm going to cut a hole in my house (!!!), I'm going for 36 inch culvert, (I like the IB idea!!!! )with an Audiobahn 34 inch Linear Compression sub, 5000watts. They say vented box, so tune it around, what, 9hz,or lower ?!?!

Neighbors lining up now to run me off lol........

17. Greg Monfort

Greg Monfort Supporting Actor

If you're going to cut a big hole in the side of the room, 'go for the gusto' and cut out the entire wall and attach a sub-basshorn to it. Then all you'll need is a flea powered amp to 'rock your world'. [​IMG]
    I saw a pic of one of these where the horn was the hallway to the backdoor.
    GM