What's new

Concord jazz SACD (1 Viewer)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I don't know where I've been all this time, but I only just recently discovered the excellent catalogue of hybrid multi-channel jazz SACDs offered by the Concord label.

http://www.elusivedisc.com/products.asp?dept=779

I picked up titles by Poncho Sanchez, Cal Tjader, and Tito Puente (can ya tell I like Latin jazz?). I have my eye now on the Art Blakey, the other Sanchez, and the Mango Santamaria discs. And I had already gotten the Chick Corea a while ago.

This type of music and sound quality is the reason I got into high-res. The multi-channel mixes are aggressive- purists need not apply. On the Sanchez disc, timbales are almost exclusively on the rears. With Sanchez' and sometimes guest Santamaria's congas up front, the result is sweet. Meanwhile, the stereo tracks are solid, too.

They also have some contemporary and vocal music, which I may explore after getting the other stuff I want more.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
If you liked the Cal Tjader, pick up the Audio Fidelity SACD he's got out. ...can't remember the title and I'm not at home to run and check. It's a hybrid stereo though. I like it better than the Concord release myself. Best wishes!

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I have my eye now on the Art Blakey, the other Sanchez, and the Mango Santamaria discs.
I have heard good things about Concord on other sites as well. I have not heard the Cal Tjader album yet but I am intrigued.

Let's also hope that David Chesky decides to release Mongo's album on Super Audio.

Michael_T

Second Unit
I have bought about 75% of all the Concord SACD releases, and I haven't come across a bad one yet. Great music, and stellar sonics.

Some of the MCH mixes, like the Tito Puente, can be quite aggressive (which was surprising coming from a jazz label), and others are more laid back - but the sonics on all are, as they say, "to die for".

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Some of the MCH mixes, like the Tito Puente, can be quite aggressive (which was surprising coming from a jazz label),
Exactly. Sometimes I get annoyed at how namby-pamby some of the MC stuff is for jazz, saving the interesting mixes for rock or the occassional novely classical DVD-A. Jazz music, especially Latin, cooks. I love hearing Tito swirl around my room.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Ok, this isn't from Concord Jazz, but with the three Concords, I also picked up Ray Brown's Soular Energy, a Groove Note release. Stereo hybrid SACD. I read good things and Brown is a favorite, but never got around to ordering it (money, other things come up... y'all know how it is).

Well, of course it's great. I could listen to Brown's sweet tone all day. I'm digging an MP3 ripped version of the CD layer now (I need to persuade my boss to put in some kick-ass audio equipment at work :) ). Specifically, the slow, ultra-hip beatnik groovin' version of A Train. So nice, so nice.

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
Any thoughts on the Concord jazz sampler? I saw it at Media Play for $10.99 last night, but opted for the Channel sampler instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks