What's new

Concert pianists should have their mouths duct-taped shut OR (1 Viewer)

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
Can anyone recommend a HiRez version on Rachmaninov's Piano Concerto No. 3 to replace my CD version?

Last night I was listening to this CD, the RCA Red Seal David Helfgott recording, on headphones. I've listened to it a thousand times through speakers, but this was the first time through headphones. I'm sitting there enjoying it when I start hearing these strange sounds; they are discordant, off beat, out of tune. Finally I figured it out: the crazy bastard is SINGING and HUMMING! Who does he think he is, Glenn Gould?

So then I spent the rest of the CD cringing in fear of when he would start up again. Oh, the horror!

Is the Mercury Living Presence - RACHMANINOFF/PIANO CONCERTOS NO. 2 & NO. 3/BYRON JANIS/ANTAL DORATI - MINNEAPOLIS SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA (NO. 2) LONDON SUMPHONY ORCHESTRA (NO. 3) *Hybrid SACD 3.0* any good?

Julian Reville

Screenwriter

I think the reason I have never heard the singing/humming through the speakers is all the ambient noise in my house. It's VERY old; the heating/AC noise is substantial; no insulation in the floors and walls; plaster walls and hardwood floors reflect all kinds of sounds. When I get rich I'll build a new house with a dedicated listening room. :)

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
Wow, thanks Doug, I didn't know there was a SACD site like that. I was also considering this one:
Hyperion

Any idea what Rachmaninov is good on DVD-A? I have a Yamaha DVD-S2300 MkII that plays both SACD & DVD-A.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
Julian, sa-cd.net is the best source for SACD info and reviews. I check it out every day, and have used the reviews many times for deciding on a purchase.

Sorry, I don't do DVD-A, and I'm not really familiar w/ Rach recordings. I'm going w/ the Janis because I recently got another Mercury (CD, not SACD) of him playing the Prokofiev 3rd and Rach 1st, as well as some other solo pieces. It's a great disc, performance- and sonics-wise. I hope Mercury releases it as an SACD.

Doug

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I *think* there's a DVD version of Volodos performing the Rach 3 but I'm afraid I haven't had time to verify this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks