Concert pianists should have their mouths duct-taped shut OR

Discussion in 'Music' started by Julian Reville, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

Can anyone recommend a HiRez version on Rachmaninov's Piano Concerto No. 3 to replace my CD version?

Last night I was listening to this CD, the RCA Red Seal David Helfgott recording, on headphones. I've listened to it a thousand times through speakers, but this was the first time through headphones. I'm sitting there enjoying it when I start hearing these strange sounds; they are discordant, off beat, out of tune. Finally I figured it out: the crazy bastard is SINGING and HUMMING! Who does he think he is, Glenn Gould?

So then I spent the rest of the CD cringing in fear of when he would start up again. Oh, the horror!

Is the Mercury Living Presence - RACHMANINOFF/PIANO CONCERTOS NO. 2 & NO. 3/BYRON JANIS/ANTAL DORATI - MINNEAPOLIS SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA (NO. 2) LONDON SUMPHONY ORCHESTRA (NO. 3) *Hybrid SACD 3.0* any good?

2. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Off note: It may be time to upgrade your primary stereo too.

3. Julian Reville

I think the reason I have never heard the singing/humming through the speakers is all the ambient noise in my house. It's VERY old; the heating/AC noise is substantial; no insulation in the floors and walls; plaster walls and hardwood floors reflect all kinds of sounds. When I get rich I'll build a new house with a dedicated listening room. [​IMG]

4. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Supporting Actor

I've got the Mercury SACD on my wish list. I think the reviews of both the performance and sonics are pretty positive, but sa-cd.net seems to be down at the moment. Check out the reviews there.

Doug

Edit: it's back:
    http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/1686

5. Julian Reville

Wow, thanks Doug, I didn't know there was a SACD site like that. I was also considering this one:
    Hyperion

Any idea what Rachmaninov is good on DVD-A? I have a Yamaha DVD-S2300 MkII that plays both SACD & DVD-A.

6. Doug Otte

Julian, sa-cd.net is the best source for SACD info and reviews. I check it out every day, and have used the reviews many times for deciding on a purchase.

Sorry, I don't do DVD-A, and I'm not really familiar w/ Rach recordings. I'm going w/ the Janis because I recently got another Mercury (CD, not SACD) of him playing the Prokofiev 3rd and Rach 1st, as well as some other solo pieces. It's a great disc, performance- and sonics-wise. I hope Mercury releases it as an SACD.

Doug

7. andrew markworthy

I *think* there's a DVD version of Volodos performing the Rach 3 but I'm afraid I haven't had time to verify this.

8. Doug Otte