Concert for George/Guster on Ice

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Matt Lucas, Jun 2, 2004.

1. Matt Lucas

Matt Lucas Stunt Coordinator

Jun 22, 1999

First, does anyone own the CONCERT FOR GEORGE DVD featuring Eric Clapton leading an all-star band in memory of his friend, George Harrison? If so, could you offer a review? I know that the DVD includes two different versions of the show---apparently one is the full, unedited concert and the other is the theatrical release [an edited version of the show with interviews, backstage footage, etc.]

Having not seen all of either of these versions [I caught the last few songs on PBS high definition a few months ago], I'm wondering what they're like. And are there any other extras? I was hoping that the disc includes a featurette on George himself, but that doesn't look like the case.

Also, classic popsters Guster recently released a DVD/CD called GUSTER ON ICE. The first disc is an edited live CD, and the second is a longer DVD version. I've watched a couple of extras on the DVD, which are pretty funny, as well as the first few songs of the show itself. I was disappointed to find that, though the show was filmed in widescreen, the video is NOT enhanced for 16x9 televisions. You see this with catalog titles, but on a brand new release? Argh. What a disappointment.

Still, the music is amazing so far, and if you haven't caught these guys live, you should check out the DVD/CD. Great songs, wonderful harmonies, and WILD percussion.

2. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Jun 13, 2002
    The concert version of a Concert for George starts off with a rather lenghthy Indian section with music composed by Ravi Shankar and conducted by his daughter Anoushka. It then goes to a short tribute by Monty Python where they perform the Lumberjack song (for some reason Tom Hanks is one of the Mounties) and then it goes to the band which dominates the show. The theatrical version plays around with the order of the performances and cuts in some behind the scenes footage as well as interviews. Overall, I'd say it was a pretty good show.

As far as extras go, it features three behind the scenes featurettes on each section of the show and some interviews. No piece on Harrison himself though.