1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Concert cliches

Discussion in 'Music' started by Hunter P, Jul 18, 2003.

1. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

2. ChrisCosmo

ChrisCosmo Extra

3. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

4. Tony_Woods

Tony_Woods Stunt Coordinator

Hmm, I guess next concert I goto I'll make sure to remain seated, not clap, yell, put my hands in the air, or generally have fun. I agree with the people wearing the band's T-shirts as an annoying cliche, but if I wanted to have a quiet moment enjoying a bands music I'll throw on some headphones. There is more to a concert than just he music. On a similar note, I recently saw Opeth in Boulder CO and they didn't play an encore, first show I've been to that didn't do one. The best encore I've ever seen was a few weeks ago in Denver when Queensryche and Dream Theater played a few songs together, all 10 members on stage. They played Under Peruvian Skys (DT), Take Hold of the Flame (QR), and Won't Get Fooled Again (The Who). It was amazing.

5. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Best encore comment I ever heard from a band was from a Tegan and Sara concert at a small Boston club.. said Tegan:

The venue requires that we do an encore, so this is going to be our last song, and after that we're going to put our instruments down and stand awkwardly in that brightly lit corner of the stage over there. If you cheer, and don't feel obligated to, we'll play a couple more, but if not, we'll walk offstage and try not to have any hard feelings about it. So this is our last song before we go stand in the corner, just for orgizational sake, we'd like to thank you for coming now and remind you that we're broke and we have stuff onsale in the back, OK I'm going to shut up now, this last song is called "This Is Everything."

Sarcastic and sincere at the same time. And they actually did go stand awkwardly in the corner of the stage after that (and yes, everyone cheered and they came back and did a Prince cover).

6. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

7. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

8. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

I don't think participating in these cliches is necessarily a bad thing. I think we've all been guilty of at least one of the aforementioned cliches. This thread was meant to be self-deprecating if anything.

If we can't laugh at ourselves then how can we laugh at others?[​IMG]

9. Scott Van Dyke

Scott Van Dyke Supporting Actor

When I saw the Dead this summer, I put on my oldest Tye-Dye I could find. Many complements ensued. I laughed at those yuppies in the brand-spankin' new Tye-Dyes. That's my pet-peeve. And when Skynard plays again, I'll probably wear my shirt from the '91 show.

What's so wrong with that? [​IMG]

10. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i think you said it yourself scott. those yuppies put on "brand-spankin' new" shirts. so, you get the impression that they're not "true" or "legit" fans - they're just trying to jump on the cool-bandwagon.

i agree with hunter though. we're just pokin fun at everyone...including ourselves.

for example: i *know* i've cranked the band's music before the show - especially during the all-crucial getting-ready-before-the-concert phase. (gotta make sure i look good for the lay-dees...) and i'm all about yelling "woo-hoo" during the concert! [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Michael St. Clair

Hey, I've put on too much weight for my old tie dyes. Don't you little bastards laugh at me for buying a new one.

No, I'm not seeing the Dead this time around, but give us heavier 'yuppies' a break. [​IMG]

ps I'm actually of average build, I'm just not the scrawny little guy I once was. [​IMG]

12. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

13. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

I prefer lawn darts at tailgating sessions. Keeps the tourists away.

14. BrianB

BrianB Producer

15. MikeDeVincenzo

MikeDeVincenzo Stunt Coordinator

Chris

*sigh* Yes, my friend, the meat-heads at Tool concerts who scream, 'SOBER!!' have challenged my faith in humanity at times too. [​IMG]

But I think Lateralus chased some of that element away, thank god. Hopefully the next record will continue that trend.

16. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

"Hello, Cleveland..."

17. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

I think the most unpredictable show I have seen was Natalie Merchant.We saw her in a theater a few years ago..Just her and the band..no opener.In a word it was amazing.I think we were the only people that stayed at our seats the whole time because she did not "follow the rules" alot of people must of thought,ok,she did a hit now its time for 2 or 3 record fillers until another hit so they would leave.Half way through the show she stoped and took requests.

I have also seen Elton John and Rod Stewart a few times.I seem to remember than neither one did an encore.

18. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Jason
    Another unique bird is Robert Fripp. The two times that I've seen him at the Birchmere (1st by himself, the second at an improptu "Projekct 3" show when Adrian Belew was sick.), he'd do the performance, and for an "Encore", he would come out and take questions from the audience. The cool thing at the "Project 3" show was someone was able to convince Fripp to pull out his guitar and do Fracture. (Which he did reasonably well, considering he probably hasn't practised it in a while)

Jason

19. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

20. Scott Van Dyke

Scott Van Dyke Supporting Actor

What Dean Said. Everyone at the show knows what song it is, in the first two seconds.

BTW Dean, I saw the Dead at Soldier Field in '92. It was a Thursday. It was UNforgetable.