What's new

Concert cliches (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i also can't get into the whole encore thing - see my post for more on that topic.

i always crack up as soon as the singer motions for the crowd to start clapping or to stand up. talk about a bunch of robots. arrgghh!

oh, what about when the singer stops singing and has the crowd sing along? wtf? who am i paying here??? damn, if i wanted to hear some moron sing, i'd just sing in the shower. errr.....

not sure if the following counts, but it always cracks me up. what about being the guy wearing a t-shirt from the band that's playing. man...don't be that guy! and, for god's sake - don't buy a t-shirt from the stand and put it on that night!!

Hunter P

Screenwriter

too funny:laugh:

Does anybody know of a band that gave an encore in one city but didn't in another during the same tour? I would be curious to know if some bands truly don't come out if the audience isn't clamoring for them.

Mark_Ken

Auditioning
Just a quick post for the fogger. I used to working on a lighting crew. The fogger is used for lighting effects more then anything else. This isn't to say that some bands over do it. But, If there is no fog on the stage the lighting looks like crap.

Peter Mazur

Second Unit
Joe,

I never got to see them with David Lee Roth. I saw Sammy's first tour with them. My friend said that David Lee Roth swung around a sword for his solo though :laugh:.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Hell, there was even a bass solo.
Yeah, I never understood the point of these, at least in rock music. Heck, I can't even dig drum solos (again, applicable only to rock- jazz musicians know how to make this stuff swing).

I've seen Michael Anthony's solo on TV. He just runs around with a big bass that's shaped like a Jack Daniels bottle.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I always feel silly clapping for an encore when I know damn well that an encore is inevitable and it was planned well in advance. Why not just play the amount of songs you wanted to play in the first place?
Because then people will bitch that you didn't play an encore...

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Blue Man Group parodies this in their Complex tour. Much of the show is explicit instruction with on-screen guidance as to how to conduct a 'rock show'. Some instructions are to the band, some are to the audience, some to both.

Head bob
Fist pump
Jumping up and down (pogo)
Run out and get closer to the audience
Bring somebody up to dance on stage
Acknowledge the people in the cheap seats
Introduce a special guest
Cigarette lighter to ask for encore
Band pretends to leave before fake encore
We love playing here in [insert city here]
Introduce the band

It was actually a pretty entertaining show, expecially from the third row.

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
not sure if the following counts, but it always cracks me up. what about being the guy wearing a t-shirt from the band that's playing. man...don't be that guy! and, for god's sake - don't buy a t-shirt from the stand and put it on that night!!
I also hate those lamers who blast the music of THE BAND YOU ARE ABOUT TO SEE IN 15 MINUTES!!! from their car stereos in the parking lot.

Hunter P

Screenwriter

good one:emoji_thumbsup:

I've always wanted to see Blue Man Group. Someday I'll head on over to Vegas, baby, Vegas and catch a show.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Also, during one of our gigs, our guitar player messed up the opening riff to "Wanted Dead or Alive". Instead of trying to cover it up, he signaled for all of us to stop, and went up to the mic and said "Oh hell. Let me try that again." When he nailed it the 2nd time, the crowd went nuts...
Yeah, I would much rather see that than a band that actually practiced enough to get it right the first time.
I think the crowd going nuts is akin to everyone cheering in a restaurant when the waitress drops the dishes.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Richard, that's pretty harsh, don't you think?

When you play a 4-hr show, you get tired. It has nothing to do with the amount of practice. Damn...

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Mistakes can be fun.

Zappa-heads know of the classic moment on Make A Jazz Noise Here where Zappa makes the percussionist practise a lick in front of the audience because he messed it up once at an earlier show. Funny stuff.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Now this is a special case, ladies and gentlemen, get the spot light o'er here, this is Ed Mann. Now, Ed had a tragic experience a few moments ago, one of the loyal fans in the audience came up and treated him like a war criminal because he fucked up the lick on "Dickie's Such An Asshole," way back when? Who knows, several weeks ago. But the people who come to these shows listen so carefully to every little detail that this man was deeply offended by Ed's performance. So to make sure that he get his money's worth tonight, we're gonna dwell on it for a few moments now, and have Ed actually practise, kinda warm up for that big lick that happens in "Dickie's Such An Asshole," we're gonna rehearse it right now, ready?

ChrisCosmo

Grip
I mentioned TOOL because not only does Maynard avoid the stupid cliches, he openly mocks the practice.
that doesnt prevent the shirtless shaved headed phil anzelmo from pantera style fan from screaming "play sober" for the entire concert, like they are a jukebox or something.

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor
Did you actually experience that, Chris?

I would have told him to shut the hell up already after three times, and kicked him in the teeth for good-measure.:emoji_thumbsup:

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
that doesnt prevent the shirtless shaved headed phil anzelmo from pantera style fan from screaming "play sober" for the entire concert, like they are a jukebox or something.
Yeah, why do people shout "requests?" Have they never heard of setlists?

The worst is people yelling song titles at Crimson concerts. Anyone who knows anything about the band knows the extra-stupidity involved with yelling "In the Court!" at a modern-day KC show.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I also hate those lamers who blast the music of THE BAND YOU ARE ABOUT TO SEE IN 15 MINUTES!!! from their car stereos in the parking lot.
LMAO! I feel the same way. :laugh: I think the thing that bugs me about it is, when you walk by their car, they give you that look like "Yeah, you must think I'm cool because I am playing songs from the band you are going to see." Almost like we are supposed to look at them as if they were part of the band or famous somehow. :rolleyes

While we're on the subject, I'm probably the only one who feels this way, but I HATE it when a band starts playing a song (with an instrumental beginning) and the crowd doesn't recognize it right away, but you do and you're like "YEAH!", but then when the vocals come in and everyone then recognizes the song, the audience goes crazy and screams.

i.e. I was at a Neil Diamond concert and they started playing "I am, I Said" and I was like "Yeah!" and then I stopped because I wanted to hear the song...about 10 seconds later (when Neil started singing "L.A.'s fine, the sun shines most of the time"), everyone realized the song and started cheering and I couldn't hear the first line of the damn song :angry:

Shouldn't these so called "fans" recognize these songs from the beginning???? Now, everytime I listen to a "Live" CD, I have to hear this sort of reaction from the fans :angry: I am truly HATING Live CD's with a passion because of the annoying fans reactions.

p.s. And yes, when my band plays out, we always get the "One more song!" chant from the fans so we have to have an "Encore" song prepared. I always hate playing our "so called" last song and then walk over to my amp and pretend to be shutting down...Then we gotta play the old game of looking at each other like "Well, should we do another one?". And then the crowd goes crazy when we start to get ready to play it - it happens all the time.

I always feel like a tool doing that, but you gotta, I don't know any other way around it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks