What's new

Concert cliches (1 Viewer)

Hunter P

Screenwriter

From the "Otto Show" episode from The Simpsons, guest starring Spinal Tap.

This famous scene best exemplifies concert cliches that we in the audience just fall for every time. I was at a concert this week (John Mayer/Counting Crows). The singer mentions the name of the city and crowd goes nuts. Happened just like in every concert that I have ever been to.

What surprised me is that a ton of people started leaving after John Mayer thanked everyone for coming and told us he was going to sing his last song. Yeah, right, "last song," wink, wink. Haven't they ever heard of the other big concert cliché: The Encore? They didn't even turn on the auditorium lights and people still thought the concert was over. Encores have become such a cliché that you are surprised if there isn't one.

It's like in wrestling when a wrestler makes a "surprise" entrance to the ring. If it was so surprising then how come his theme music is already cued up and ready to go? In concerts, the encore is so rehearsed that even the lighting guy knows what song is going to play so that he can coordinate with the show.

It always cracks me up whenever I see it happen. We're so easy.

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
"Its great to be back in 'insert city name here' its been such a long time since we've been here."
"We have missed you, you guys rock."
"Your such a good looking crowd, give yourselves a hand."

I'm not sure why people cheer when they here an artist say the city's name. I like it more when they forget the name of the city they are in. Its more entertaining seeing a groveling rock star try to make-up for their mistake.

I think one cliche has pretty much burned out....pun intended...its the lighting of the cigarette lighter during love songs. I always thought the lighters were lit at the end of the show encouraging the artist to return for an encore.

Paul

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Hunter, you've just cited a couple of the reasons why I stopped going to rock concerts. Contrived cliches aimed at a mass of people that behave like cattle and get the treatment they deserve as a result.

The other thing that drives me nuts is the number of people who think that a rock concert is somewhere to go for a chat, and spend half the concert shouting conversations at each other. Quiet contemplative songs are welcomed by these morons because then it's not only easier for them to talk but ensuring that everyone nearby who is trying to listen to the song gets to hear their conversation instead. A sub-species of this is the cretin intent on yelling 'woo-hoo', 'well all right', or (cringe) 'rock 'n' roll' or similar bon mots at any opportunity (I once heard a moron shout this last phrase when a singer announced that the next song was dedicated to his mother who'd died the previous week). It was this sort of this behaviour that led Roger Waters to write 'The Wall'.

I think large concert venues are largely to blame. Smaller theatres meant that it was largely the diehard fans who went. Now it's the fans and then every airhead that wants a noisy start to the evening before heading off to a nightclub. Plus, large stages encourage graniloquent gestures that inevitably are theatrical rather than heartfelt.

Years ago I saw Camel on the last night of their world tour at a relatively modest 3,000 seat venue. They played through their set and then came back on stage for 90 minutes of encores. They played their own stuff and then rock and roll standards, not because they 'had' to, but because they wanted to - they were winding down after a hard tour and playing the stuff they liked. No fancy lighting, no contrived gestures, just good honest *fun*, which is, let's face it, is what popular music is supposed to be. Fat chance of seeing that in a stadium performance.

Thank you, we love you, goodnight.

Hunter P

Screenwriter

Too funny because I was lamenting the next day that my friend couldn't make it to the concert because he is our designated "whooooo"-er. :laugh:

I always feel silly clapping for an encore when I know damn well that an encore is inevitable and it was planned well in advance. Why not just play the amount of songs you wanted to play in the first place? Don't come out with a towel around your neck as if you were "coaxed" by the stage manager to do a couple more songs. I would appreciate the encore more if it were a true encore.

Another cliche is to throw in a couple of cuss words into the lyrics so that the audience can get the feeling that they are getting some taboo version that they would never hear on the radio. "Oh, my gawd, Sandy. He totally, like, said 'shit' instead of 'stuff.' That is soooooo awesome!"

Peter Mazur

Second Unit
I'm not sure if this is the kind of cliche you are talking about but I personally hate solo's. Guitar, drums, keyboards, etc...

I saw Van Halen in concert back in the mid 80's. I swear Eddie had a 20 minute solo. Then there was a 10 minute drum solo. Hell, there was even a bass solo. Definitely not my thing.

MikeDeVincenzo

Stunt Coordinator
Andrew

LOL...I'll grant you that she's definately an acquired taste and there are many who don't go for her music at all.

However, I think anyone who has heard her truly hillarious/bizarre in between song banter will agree with me that its delightfully free of the stupid cliches that have been mentioned in this thread.

I mentioned TOOL because not only does Maynard avoid the stupid cliches, he openly mocks the practice.

Example: I attended one of their shows a few years ago at Madison Square Garden. Maynard says, "Repeat after me: Think for yourself. Question authority. Think for yourself, question authority." Soon, nearly the whole crowd is chanting it back at him. Maynard then calmly stated, "Don't fucking repeat anything people say to you." Great moment. :)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I mentioned TOOL because not only does Maynard avoid the stupid cliches, he openly mocks the practice.
They also don't do encores.

I read that supposedly Tool ended up doing a gig at some Scientologists' convention unknowingly. When Maynard found out, he stepped up to the mic and belted out, "Bah! Bah!"
(as in a sheep- I'm bad at typing out onomatopoeia.

I saw Tool live once. He didn't do anything so wild, but the show was intense. I was really blown away.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Right now, I'm listening to the Vince Guaraldi Trio's Jazz Impressions of Black Orpheus, based on music from the film. I had to listen to it because I finally saw the movie last night.

This is a hybrid stereo SACD from Analogue Productions. Great stuff- I'm sure you'd enjoy it.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Yeah, right, "last song," wink, wink. Haven't they ever heard of the other big concert cliché: The Encore?
I always get a chuckle out of Freddie Mercury saying "good night, beautiful people!" after "Radio Ga Ga", as if no one knew that "We Will Rock You" and "We Are the Champions" were coming up ;) This happened in any number of shows during the Magic Tour.

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
What kills me is when the singer aks "How you all doin' tonight?" and then the crowd goes crazy and everyone screams and whoops it up. I don't know about you, but when someone asks me how I'm doing, I don't start screaming and pump my fists in the air. Not that a common response is what the groups are after, I know.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
I think one cliche has pretty much burned out....pun intended...its the lighting of the cigarette lighter during love songs. I always thought the lighters were lit at the end of the show encouraging the artist to return for an encore.
Right, now they just hold up cell phones instead during love songs. It's even more stupid than lighters, but at least it's more colorful.

My most despised concert cliche is prompting the audience to sing along. If you have to prompt the audience to get them to sing, maybe the show isn't so good.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned dry ice...the ultimate cliched stage effect. :thumbsdown:

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned dry ice...the ultimate cliched stage effect.
Actually, that would be a smoke machine, and that's usually for lighting purposes more than anything.

Another group that doesn't do encores are The Flower Kings. They play four songs that last 2 hours, and that's more than enough. :D

I think the reason why we don't get "real" encores is so that fans in other places don't feel like that they are getting jobbed by not getting an encore. Also, most group's setlists are pretty static.

That being said, I still like the cliches. It gets people going and energized. Everyone knows it is BS, but they buy into it anyways.

Jason

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Clapping to the beat. Or some where near the beat. Or usually not even fucking close.
Almost always instigated by a member of the band, strutting across the stage with his hands clapping over his head.
At this point I always wondered how the drummer and bass player can even keep going with these waves off beat noise flowing in from the crowd. But people just love that shit, "I'm, like, part of the band now." And then it just cranks to a halt, long before the song is over.
And I'm always left feeling like a spoilsport because I won't even try, "Hey, I'm paying them to play.!"

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Actually, that would be a smoke machine, and that's usually for lighting purposes more than anything.
Some smoke machines use dry ice, and you're right it's for lighting purposes.

I remember seeing Styx at MSG back in 1977...First time I saw the effect on stage. 22, 23 years later I saw them play again, and they fogged the stage during the same song as they did back in 1977...Come Sail Away.

After at least 25-30 years of heavy use by dozens of bands, I'd say it's time to put the smoke machine away.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Another group that doesn't do encores are The Flower Kings. They play four songs that last 2 hours, and that's more than enough
Yeah. Ain't it great? :)

My reaction to the singing and clapping along to the band depends on my mood of the day. At metal shows, I'm head-banging, pumping my fist, and shouting refrains with the best of 'em. I know, I'm a mindless sheep.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
I like it more when they forget the name of the city they are in.
I saw Ozzy Osbourne in Dallas a few years back. He walks up to the mic, looks around confusedly, and says quite plainly "Where the f--k am I?" That was the most memorable moment of any concert I've ever been to :)

Also, during one of our gigs, our guitar player messed up the opening riff to "Wanted Dead or Alive". Instead of trying to cover it up, he signaled for all of us to stop, and went up to the mic and said "Oh hell. Let me try that again." When he nailed it the 2nd time, the crowd went nuts...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks