What's new

Concerns / Problems Using Y-Cable Adapters on Component Video? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Meyers

Supporting Actor
I would like to be able send the component video out from my DVD player to 2 separate displays: 1) RPTV and 2) Front Projector. The displays will not be used simultaneously - the RPTV will be used primarily during the day and the Front Projector will be used primarily during the evening. My original thought was to use a Receiver to direct the component video signals to either of the 2 displays. However, I have not been able to locate a receiver with more than 1 component video out / monitor. See my quest here:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=233877

Now I'm wondering if I can use 3 Y-Cable Adapters on the Receiver component video out to send the signals to both displays? Here's a picture of what I'm considering:

This Y-Cable Adapter would plug into the component video out on the Receiver and then I would have 2 separate component video cables to the 2 displays. It would be a 6' to 8' component video cable run to the RPTV and a 50' component video cable run to the Front Projector.

Are there any concerns or problems I should be aware of if I go with this method? Would this cause picture degradation problems, or would there be any bandwidth problems, or any other problems?

Thanks for any suggestions or comments.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
It won't work. You can't split video signal in this method.

You need a device to keep the signal level and imp correct to feed two devices, there are hundreds of them out there, both in consumer and pro markets.

-V

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
Buffered distribution amps. Some do 1x2, some do 1x4, but whatever, passively splitting like that rarely works, and when it does work, both sides are usually compromised.

Leo

Jeff Meyers

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the heads-up and advice Vince and Leo.

I did some research and was able to find a few 4:2 COMPONENT VIDEO MATRIX SWITCHERS. The most common one that I have found is a Shinybow SB-5470 that runs about $100 to $125. From the pictures I have seen these units do not appear to have the highest build quality. I'd hate to spend this money and then not be satisfied with the picture quality.

My main goal is to run only one cable to my front projector - component video. I plan on picking-up a new receiver that will upconvert any video signal to component video for display on the front projector. At this point, I'm considering skipping the whole video switching / splitting between the 2 displays and picking-up another DVD player - I'll have one dedicated to the front projector and the other dedicated to the RPTV.

Again, thanks for the advice.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
That's probably the easiest way to do it - and quite possibly the cheapest, too (seperate players, that is.)

Otherwise, I'd suggest going to a 'real' company like Extron, Kramer, or Videotek - but they're gonna run you something in the neighborhood of $750-$1000.

A component video matrix switcher is a fantastic machine, and the thought of one costing about $100 makes me want to run - away, very fast.

(later)

Bah!

It isn't a matrix switcher. The SB-5470 takes multiple inputs and only has one output.

Leo Kerr

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks