What's new

Concerns About VEI... (1 Viewer)

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
I am concerned about the future of VEI, not only because of both The Immortal (which is due now for release) and Longstreet, but for the sake of the company altogether. I know on Facebook, fans of Viper (which has seen its release delayed numerous times, I think, because of Fiat Chrysler Automobiles demanding a fee for the use of the Viper trademark, which I think is larger than what VEI and CBS would be willing to consider) are constantly posting to them about that 1993 series in question, which along with The Immortal and Longstreet are among those Paramount Television releases still to be released.

They seemed to have been hush-hush everywhere (Facebook, Twitter, et al) ever since posting the teaser video for The Immortal, and I am worried that they may be filing for bankruptcy protection or that, at least, their pre-existing licensing deal with CBS Home Entertainment may have expired (or is about to), and thus laying off some of their employees.

If anybody here really knows what is up with VEI as of late, please let me know. I really only want to think positively about VEI.

~Ben

Last edited:

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
I spoke with them today on another issue and asked about The Immortal and Longstreet and they told me they expect both to be out before Thanksgiving.
Neil,

The other issue I'm concerned with them over is possible disc replacement for disc 4 of The Magician. I've heard mark-edk say that episodes 11 and 13 have audio issues (the tone and pitch going up/down). Here is his quote below.

Into the second half of the episodes and have noticed an audio issue on ep 11 and 13. In spots the pitch wavers up and down (aka 'wow'); you can't tell from straight dialogue, but with music going it can give it a 'seasick' kind of effect. Many people won't even notice it (I am blessed/cursed with 'perfect pitch'), but once you do it's hard to ignore.

~Ben

Last edited:

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
VEI sent me an e mail with preorder details for a November 9th release of the Immortal. Looks like it is coming out as planned.
THE IMMORTAL -The Complete Collection - pre-order
The Immortal - The Complete Collection
Coming November 9th
What a relief indeed!

Thank you to VEI for preserving the very rare Paramount Television "Split Box I" logo with the Closet Killer theme (it's composed by the same guy who did The Immortal's theme tune: Dominic Frontiere)!

~Ben

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
I spoke with them today on another issue and asked about The Immortal and Longstreet and they told me they expect both to be out before Thanksgiving.

So you mean that Longstreet will be out before November 23. Do you confirm?
I remembered that there was a Longstreet DVD release in Japan with restored prints back in 2007.
I wonder what kind of prints VEI will use: restored or old?

mattfire64

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew

Did they mention any news about Viper? I know 90s shows aren't as popular around these parts, but I know myself and many others have been waiting a while for this one to finally see release. Is what the OP mentioned really the reason as to why the show has been held up for so long?

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
I remembered that there was a Longstreet DVD release in Japan with restored prints back in 2007.
I really hope so! I know it's already confirmed VEI will release The Immortal on November 9.

About Longstreet, as I said before, it will be the first time this opening Paramount logo, with the Lalo Schifrin theme, will be available on DVD:

Interestingly, the closing credits on the pilot, from which the above opening logo also came, actually have a silent version of the familiar Paramount Television "Split Rectangle II" closing logo:

~Ben

Last edited:

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member

There are no "old" prints of Longstreet, since the show never reran anywhere until CBS mastered them for TV Land in the late 90s. Not like there's old one-inch syndication transfers as the show was never syndicated.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
There are no "old" prints of Longstreet, since the show never reran anywhere until CBS mastered them for TV Land in the late 90s. Not like there's old one-inch syndication transfers as the show was never syndicated.
I hope the Japanese masters kept the original 1970 Paramount Television logo at the end! I know almost anything Paramount Television-related on TV Land had the 1995 Paramount Domestic Television logo (Viacom byline) instead!

~Ben

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks