Concerning Ctrl Alt Del in Windows.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dome Vongvises, Jul 14, 2002.

1. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

I need help. You guys know how when you press Ctrl Alt Del, a window pops up that shows you all the programs that are running, right? Well, my question is, how do I know that if I close down a program, it won't affect anything else? I've suspected one of my programs if fucking up my computer clock.

2. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

You can't really know, unless you know exactly what the program is doing.

What is the name of the task you suspect of causing the problem? Usually a messed up computer clock is a sign of a hardware problem or a driver issue. But, drivers almost never show up as tasks in the task manager since drivers, by definition, are NOT tasks.

A virus or spyware program could conceivably change the clock in the same way you can by double-clicking the clock readout in the lower right-hand corner of the desktop, however.

3. SteveBjr

SteveBjr Stunt Coordinator

Did you buy a boxed computer? I've heard of many Dells that have this problem. If so check the manufacturer websites for updates or patches.

4. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Well, if something shows up as a task in the close program box, you really can't lose much from killing one of them-anything that'll show up there is a program. Now processes on the other hand are a different story, but I don't know that anything besides NT/2000 lets you have process-level control.

If something is messing with your clock, you can always grab a clock synch program like Tardis to keep it at the right time. You might also want to check out Ad-Aware to get rid of any spyware programs, and run msconfig and remove extra things from the startup tab (you'd be amazed at how much crap is in there).

5. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

If you're running Win9x/ME, you can kill everything except systray and explorer without screwing anything up.

If you're running NT/2000/XP, you have to be a little bit more careful with the processes. But generally you'll be ok because windows WON'T let you end task on the most vital of things.

You can get rid of these things from permanently loading at start up (but won't interfere with you running them manually later) by going to Start -> Run -> msconfig. On the Startup tab, just uncheck everything you don't want running. Be sure to leave LoadPowerProfile and ScanReg though. This only works on 98/ME/XP. If you're running something else you can install Startup Cop (freeware I think) to do the same thing for you.

6. Dome Vongvises

Yes, I do have a Dell, but I bought it four years ago, and I recently been having clock problems. I'll definitely check their websites for patches/updates.

I ran msconfig, and yes there was some crap in it (even some shit that even didn't have a director).

Thanks for your help guys, but I'll report back my findings.

7. BradyB

BradyB Stunt Coordinator

If this only happens after a ctrl-alt-del, then I would think its software... but if you find it at other times, I would be checking out your battery on the motherboard... I have had a few computers decide its time to change the clock, and usually after I replace the battery things work fine.

8. Jeff Peake

Jeff Peake Supporting Actor

Just to elaborate on the previous post. It is most likely a dying battery. Open your case and look for the big watch-battery stuck on the motherboard somewhere. Replace that and I suspect you will fine.
    Or download Atomic Clock Sync and have your clock set properly at regular intervals.

9. Dome Vongvises

Are these batteries expensive? Thanks for the help. I'll try that tommorow and see what happens.

10. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

Dome, not at all. They are a standard size and can be picked up at Radio Shack for a couple of bucks at most.

11. Dome Vongvises

This is pretty damn strange. I shut down my computer, the clock being off by two hours. When I rebooted it, it was in sync again with the correct time. Huh?

12. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

Windows(95/98) has a known bug that causes the clock to not keep proper time. I don't think Microsoft has ever admitted it, but search any computer forums on the net, and you'll find tons and tons of reference to it.

So, that could also be your problem.