Concern for Window, Glass Doors

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Doug_B, Mar 24, 2001.

1. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

I'm about to have some work done on a room in my house to make it the new family/media room. It is 13x20x8. Equipment will go on 13' wall. Large 9' wide window on left wall. Opening to room on right close to front is 7' wide but will be closed off with bifold doors. 5' opening on back wall will also be closed off with bifolds. Currently planning for wooden doors for bifolds but with majority glass. Window will definitely have shades and drapes, not sure yet about drapes surrounding bifold doorways. Room will be carpeted.
    Speakers will include Def Techs around, particularly BP2002TLs for front and wall-mounted BPXs on sides. Sub will be wait and see (or should I say hear [​IMG] ). My motivation for this is primarily HT, although I expect to rekindle my music ears as well.
    My concern is with the glass everywhere. If I don't cover up the glass on the bifolds, I am thinking that the higher frequencies may result in some brightness / harshness / whatever due to reflections, especially off of the side bifold, which may be positioned perfectly bad for a direct reflection to the sweet spot. Additionally, would the glass vibrate/resonate at any low frequencies? The BP2002 subs will likely be positioned facing out, in line with the end of the right bifolds (of course, I'll try facing the 2002 subs inward as well - I do have room to bring out the 2002s in front of the TV a bit, which should also help the rear drivers breathe).
    Any thoughts on these concerns? Any other potential problems?
    Thanks.
    Doug

2. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

3. Burke Strickland

Burke Strickland Second Unit

Your concern about the glass is well founded. I removed the glass doors from my equipment cabinets that I was using at the time I also had Def Techs all around, because they reflected the sound too brightly. It was much better having the uneven surfaces of the exposed components in the line of fire. Since you have to have glass in your windows covering them up with even a thin layer of pleated fabric will help. If course, there is also the issue of light control, if you plan to watch movies during the day.
    Burke
    ------------------