What's new

Concept Albums: A Music Tournament (1 Viewer)

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I'll second "Joe's Garage" and "Fear of a Black Planet".

I have to admit, however, that I'm not exactly clear on the concept here (how punny!). Can someone give me a working definition of "concept album"?

That said, I think the albums I'd like to nominate could be considered "conceptual", but I'd probably say the same for every one of these artist's albums, excepting Greatest Hits compilations and live shows, though the former certainly is conceptual to the extent that the concept would be "to collect the most popular songs of a particular artist..."

So, file these "conceptual albums" under "Love and Love Lost" (or maybe "to have and have not"):
Bob Dylan "BLOOD ON THE TRACKS"
Joni Mitchell "BLUE"
Beck "SEA CHANGE"

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Chuck:

I haven't updated the original list w/ all the nominees yet, I'm working on albums that are in and seconded at this point.

I disagree w/ respect to the automatics. I think it will make the tourney more interesting. We'll see.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
I am adding Billy Bragg and Wilco's Mermaid Avenue. I won't add the sequel automatically.

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
A concept album aspires to be more than a collection of songs. Usually it tells some kind of story, but not necessarily. There exists some kind of meta-construct that the album as a whole functions to serve... a dramatic or conceptual layer to the project.

For example: some say that the concept of Sgt. Pepper's is that it's a band (SPLHCB) playing a concert. So what makes Sgt Pepper a concept album and a live album not a concept album? Because a live album IS a band playing a concert, while Sgt P is ABOUT a band playing a concert.

(My beef with Sgt Pepper is that there are a very few moments over the course of the album to reinforce the idea -- making it more of a "gimmick" than a "concept")

I object to quite a few of the nominations so far, but if people want them in, I'll save my comments for the voting.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
I think the "concept" (awful pun, sorry) of a "concept album" is open to a variety of interpretations. In its most strict sense, I think it refers to a cycle of songs that tell a story, with a consistent frame of reference for each of the songs. Albums of songs which are contextually unified, such as Joni Mitchell's Blue, are not "concept" albums under this definition. Neither is an album like Mermaid Avenue, which is unified only because each song is a "cover," all written by the same artist (this is an unusual example, to be certain, but it holds to my argument).

But, for the sake of inspiring discussions like this, I think it's useful to broaden our definition. The ultimate goal of the tournament, and my intent, is to expose each of us to albums we may or may not have already considered, and broaden all of our musical palates.

In my estimation, thinking back to the wonderful days in which you held a new album in your hands like newly-discovered treasure, and you smelled the vinyl and marveled at the gatefold, etc, etc, etc--it seems that, in the era of the CD, we have gotten away from the very concept of an "album," let alone a "concept album."

Carry on...

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Surprising no one's mentioned what is arguably the first-ever concept album: Freak Out!, a dual-LP on Verve Records, by The Mothers of Invention.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well I have not nominated any album I didn't feel was truly a concept album. I seconded Magical Mystery Tour because that's certainly as much a concept album as Sgt. Pepper, which I think deserves to be in for historical reasons if none other (Freak Out notwithstanding). I will admit that I seconded the White Album simply because it's the best album ever made, and while I don't consider it a concept album, it's been clear that differing opinions were to be accepted.
From Angelo's first post Frankly, Magical Mystery Tour is much more of a concept album viewed in the context of the movie, and in that sense I guess most soundtracks can be viewed as concept albums of a sort, which tempts me to nominate A Hard Day's Night, but I won't. :)

I do find it interesting, however, that there are movies of many of the albums so far, including Tommy, The Wall, Red-Headed Stranger, Quadrophenia, Arthur, etc.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Every album that's received a second to this point is now in, at my discretion. Anyone who used a second on those albums gets it back.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I'll second "ANIMALS". It is my favorite Floyd.

And since "Sgt. Pepper's" is in, I'll nominate "We're Only In It For the Money".

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Main list updated.

Graceland is more than reasonable, given our loose definition. Rhythm of the Saints would not be out of the question either.

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
Alright, well, I have to say this is getting pretty ridiculous. I'll repeat... a STYLE is not a CONCEPT. Let's nominate Never Mind the Bollocks while we're at it -- hey, it's all punk songs!

The fact is, there are not that many concept albums, and most of them are by relatively obscure progressive rock outfits like Camel and Caravan. If we have to stretch it so far as to include Graceland, maybe we should limit it to 16 entries or something.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Chuck:

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, of course. The fact is that several 'classic' concept albums haven't even been nominated yet, and many have not passed the stage of a single nomination. The 2nd-ing and 3rd-ing process, I would hope, will weed out albums that people don't think belong.

If it looks like the waters are too dilute, I'll limit the thing to 32.

Peter Mazur

Second Unit
I will second "The Shaming Of The True" by Kevin Gilbert. If you haven't heard it you are missing out on one of the greatest albums ever.

I will nominate one that is not very well known, "Subterranea" by IQ. Definitely worth looking for if you like progressive rock.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Actually now that I think about it, Graceland really doesn't belong. I'll withdraw it. Here's one that should meet Chuck's definition

It took nearly six years to conceive and complete this album.
No orchestral instruments or synthesizers were used to create the sounds.
Each individual piece of music relates a human experience.
And together they tell the story of a journey into life's
Third Stage - Boston

Kilroy Was Here - Styx

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Brook:

At my discretion, Graceland stays in for now, but it doesn't count against your nominations. If it doesn't move into the tourney, so be it. Your new nominations are noted.

Arbitrary? Yes. Do I care? No.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks